Author Topic: Feta, Sheep Milk - Recipe Differences vs Cow Milk Feta?  (Read 2740 times)

dttorun

Feta, Sheep Milk - Recipe Differences vs Cow Milk Feta?
« on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:59 AM »
Hi,
I've been making pasteurized/homogenized 3.25% cow's milk feta with fairly good success. Now I decided to make sheep milk feta. It is 6% fat pasteurized but not homogenized. Instead of paying $5 per gal for cow's milk, I paid $5 per liter for sheep's milk and drove 3 hours to get it.
So, I don't want to leave any room for failure and discard 10 Lt of precious milk. My question if there is any significant differences in the process. I guess I need to heat up to similar temp but how about pH before renneting? How fat content affects renneting time although the milk is not homogenized? I guess I still need to add CaCl2 but can skip lipase. Sure it will be creamier but how long should I be waiting for draining to press?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tan

mtncheesemaker

Re: Feta, Sheep Milk - Recipe Differences vs Cow Milk Feta?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:40:04 AM »
I have access to fresh sheep's milk here during the season and I don't pasteurize the milk.
I make feta and other cheeses with it. I never use CaCl2 with it and generally cut back the amount of rennet that I use by about half and heat to 2 degrees less than cow's milk. I use the recipe from Fiasco Farms and don't press the cheese.
Maybe you should do a trial run with 1-2 liters first to see how it behaves. I don't have a pH meter so can't help you with that.
Sheep milk freezes very well so you can use some for a test and save some for later.
Pam

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »
Driving 3 hours for milk is really prooving that your a cheesemaking addict :)

dttorun

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 03:29:53 AM »
Hi,
My name is Tan and I am a cheese addict :-)
I made sheep milk feta and it is under press now. I did not change anything and obtained densest curds I ever get with 60-70% more yield. I even got at least 1 lb ricotta.
Thanks,

zion6

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
Where the heck can I get sheep's milk? Seems easy in other countries but not USA. I'm in California ans we have cow and goats milk coming out of our ears

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
zion6 welcome!

www.realmilk.com in US maintains a listing of suppliers by state, you could also try Posting in the Geographic > USA > California Board but I see there is a thread there already that you could bump.