Feta, Sheep Milk - Recipe Differences vs Cow Milk Feta?

Started by dttorun, October 08, 2011, 01:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dttorun

Hi,
I've been making pasteurized/homogenized 3.25% cow's milk feta with fairly good success. Now I decided to make sheep milk feta. It is 6% fat pasteurized but not homogenized. Instead of paying $5 per gal for cow's milk, I paid $5 per liter for sheep's milk and drove 3 hours to get it.
So, I don't want to leave any room for failure and discard 10 Lt of precious milk. My question if there is any significant differences in the process. I guess I need to heat up to similar temp but how about pH before renneting? How fat content affects renneting time although the milk is not homogenized? I guess I still need to add CaCl2 but can skip lipase. Sure it will be creamier but how long should I be waiting for draining to press?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tan

mtncheesemaker

I have access to fresh sheep's milk here during the season and I don't pasteurize the milk.
I make feta and other cheeses with it. I never use CaCl2 with it and generally cut back the amount of rennet that I use by about half and heat to 2 degrees less than cow's milk. I use the recipe from Fiasco Farms and don't press the cheese.
Maybe you should do a trial run with 1-2 liters first to see how it behaves. I don't have a pH meter so can't help you with that.
Sheep milk freezes very well so you can use some for a test and save some for later.
Pam

Tomer1

Driving 3 hours for milk is really prooving that your a cheesemaking addict :)

dttorun

Hi,
My name is Tan and I am a cheese addict :-)
I made sheep milk feta and it is under press now. I did not change anything and obtained densest curds I ever get with 60-70% more yield. I even got at least 1 lb ricotta.
Thanks,

zion6

Where the heck can I get sheep's milk? Seems easy in other countries but not USA. I'm in California ans we have cow and goats milk coming out of our ears

Cheese Head

zion6 welcome!

www.realmilk.com in US maintains a listing of suppliers by state, you could also try Posting in the Geographic > USA > California Board but I see there is a thread there already that you could bump.