Author Topic: Feta #4-2nd to age  (Read 2227 times)

ellenspn

Feta #4-2nd to age
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »
After pushing the pH of my indigo vat way to high and turning about a pound of mohair into soapy mush I decided it was safer for me to make something I had been successful at.  My beloved Feta.

1 gal pasturized creamline milk
1/2 t CaCl in 1/4 c distilled water
1/8 t Feta-Mesophilic Series A-B Culture
1/16 t Mad Millie Kid Lipase
1/4 t veal rennet in 1/4 cup distilled water
Lots of salt ;)

Right now I'm waiting for the culture to multiply in the ~88 deg milk. 

ellenspn

Re: Feta #4-2nd to age
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:33:55 AM »
Did not heat the curds on this one per the directions from the wiki.  In fact the only thing I used from the 200 EHMC book was the amount of lipase in it. Everything else came either from the data sheets or from the wiki recipe.

I'm seeing yellowish bits of curdled cream floating on top :( Sigh, I was afraid I was going to lose them.

Back to stirring...

ellenspn

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:16 PM »
Okay they are finally in the brine.  Floated right away. 

I salted them over several days (in the fridge) and never got a lot of whey off after the initial draining at room temperature.  Cut the feta from each mold into 1/4's and still didn't have a lot of drainage.

I added 1/4 t of vinegar to each of 2 containers of brine right away as the pH was around 5.83.  I'm not sure how long it will take to stabilize.

ellenspn

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
I tried a piece and it tastes bitter not just salt related bitterness  :P

One thing I did different was use un-iodized sea salt.  But I have a feeling that even that is too much iodine.

The pH of the brine is 4.4 and 4.5 for the two containers.

ellenspn

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
After soaking in water to remove some of the salt it tastes very bland.  This is the batch I kept at room temperature while stirring the cut curd.  Next time I will go back to the instructions in 200 Easy Cheesemaking recipes and warm the curd during this process.

margaretsmall

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
Hi Ellen,
I sympathize re the indigo - I once had a senior moment and dipped a handspun merino jumper into an indigo vat.... never wore it again.
Good luck with the feta.
Margaret

ellenspn

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »
Thanks!  I was just lucky it was adult mohair and I hadn't paid very much for it.

Alas, indigo season is over for me :(  Have to wait until next spring as I don't care for the smell inside the house.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
Hi ellenspn, my 2 cents:

I'm currently using pre-diluted CaCl2, my Dairy Connection bottle says it is 0.02% CaCl2 and the recommended dosage rate is 6 fl ounces per 1000 pounds milk which I once calculated at roughly 1/4 teaspoon per US gallon. My other is from webstore Glengarry Cheesemaking and it doesn't list the concentration but says to use 3/4 teaspoon per 13-15 liters of milk, roughly the same 1/4 teaspoon per US gallon. This of course should be prediluted as you did.

With your bitter & non piquant Feta taste, could the bitterness be from excess rennet, also how old and properly stored is your lipase? I keep mine Tupperware box in freezer.

I don't think your salt should be the problem, but for next batch if you go back to your old salt it could rule it out.

ellenspn

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
John, the CaCl2 I'm using is also pre-diluted at a rate of 1/2 t per 5 L.

I have no idea exactly how old the lipase actually is.  It's from Mad Millie and it was stored in the freezer at the brew store I bought it from and been stored in the freezer along with my cultures ever since.  It came in a plastic vial so I've stored it in that.

That was the first time I used veal rennet but I thought I measured it carefully according to the suppliers directions.

I'll try dropping the CaCl2 solution down to 1/4 t and see if that helps (along with NOT using sea salt).

ellenspn

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:56:03 AM »
Also I realized but forgot to post that I barely stirred this batch.  I mean I stirred it but extra gently.   :o