Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curds, Add Milk Powder?  (Read 2002 times)

mbox

Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curds, Add Milk Powder?
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
Hi, i have a newbie question...my local bought milk may be reason for not getting the consistency desired on curds...of course this could also be the vegetarian rennet i am using  , but i do add calcl and i think it may have to do with the milk as well...so would milk powder ,which i have access to, be "helping" for firmer curds ?

thanks for your feedback,

mbox

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curds, Add Milk Powder?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
Veggie rennet produces a much weaker curd.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Your change your PF ratio which will also change the texture of the cheese.
Im not sure what may result,Im sure linuxboy can pitch in and edjucate us.

What kind of cheeses are you making and what seems to be the problem? I'm using veggy since animal rennet is not unavailable for kosher reasons so I may be able to help.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
I agree with the two prior responses. For your store bought milk how much cacl2 are you adding to your make?

mbox

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
Thanks for all the feedbacks and apologies for the slow reply,

The softer curd is something i see on every cheese that i make and i usually add cacl as per recipe ...i don't have recipe on hand now but i think it was 1 teaspoon for 2 gallon milk.

There is one thing i recenly noticed....in thailand the milk seems to have a higher fat content ( if i am informed correctly this due to addition of buffalo milk and i still need to check on package how many percent that is as this seems to vary between brands) , is it perhaps the 2 things veggie rennet and higher fat content in milk that cause my softer curds?

thanks ,

mbox

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
Mbox, your milk could also be higher pasteurized in Thailand for longer shelf life, Ultra Pasteurized required more rennet to get a good set.

See this article with info on floc method, basically you should adjust each makes rennet amount up or down to get the right floc time for your cheese type: http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-cheese-curds-when-to-cut/