Author Topic: I've got the blues  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
I've got the blues
« on: October 15, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
In an effort to reach beyond my undeveloped taste for the blues culture, I am continuing to sample different presentations, flavors, and textures.

I've already developed an affinity for Royal Blue Stilton and haven't turned my back on Fourme d'Ambert. With this foray into blues territory I selected a Cambozola, partly because some folks here are attempting it and partly because it's an interesting marriage of two distinct cheese styles. Would I like it enough to try to make it? We'll see.

Another choice for this tasting was one that seemed close in character to the Fourme d'Ambert...Castello Creamy Blue.

Finally, the one cheese that I couldn't take my eyes off of when I first saw it. A curious yellow cheese with a contrasting blue riddled thoughout: Blacksticks Blue.

I let the cheeses come to room temperature before tasting them (well, I did try them when I cut them.  ;) ). They were all creamy. The Blacksticks had a little tang to it. Perhaps it was the color that steered me, but I had visions of something like a yellow English Wensleydale...with blue. I didn't care for the rind on the Cambozola. I guess I'm just not that fond of Penicillin Candidum. The paste spread very nicely on water crackers. Yum! I probably liked the Castello the least. A very creamy blue with a little too much blue development for my taste, at least in the piece I purchased.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: I've got the blues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
That Blacksticks looks like a Shropshire blue with a funky looking rind. Have you tried some American blue cheeses? There are many famous american blue cheeses.

kookookachoo

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
I love cambozola...haven't had it got ages, though.  It sounds really good for lunch today! :D

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
Blacksticks blue cheese is made by Butlers Farmhouse Cheeses in Inglewhite, Lancashire. It's very similar to a Blue Shropshire, but creamier and a bit milder in taste.

http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Blacksticks_Blue_cheese

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
Wow look at how yellow-orange that cheese is.
Almost like food coloring.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
Wow look at how yellow-orange that cheese is.
Almost like food coloring.
Yes, annatto, of course.

Blacksticks blue cheese is made by Butlers Farmhouse Cheeses in Inglewhite, Lancashire.
That's on the link I included.

That Blacksticks looks like a Shropshire blue with a funky looking rind. Have you tried some American blue cheeses? There are many famous american blue cheeses.
As I said, I'm just scratching the surface right now. Lots of cheeses...so little time...and money.  :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »
I was not aware that its used in non cheddar cheeses, espacially in blues.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
You should try Rogue River Blue, its an american blue cheese from the state of Oregon. This cheese, from what i've read should taste awesome and it has won many awards. This is the only american cheese that i really really want to eat. If only this is available here in the Philippines, i'd buy a whole wheel.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
I was not aware that its used in non cheddar cheeses, espacially in blues.
If you zoom in on the label you can see annatto as one of the ingredients.

You should try Rogue River Blue, its an american blue cheese from the state of Oregon. This cheese, from what i've read should taste awesome and it has won many awards. This is the only american cheese that i really really want to eat. If only this is available here in the Philippines, i'd buy a whole wheel.
Now there's a man devoted to his blues.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
They do look yummy, sorry to hear they disappointed you!  Have you ever tried a Blue Gouda, or Blue Wensleydale?  Seems like there are a lot of cheeses that might be fun with a taste of blue mixed in.  Now that is worth some thought and experimenting in mini batches!  :P  I love blue, but most of them are too intense to just pop a chunk in your mouth!  :o