Author Topic: Pressing Cheeses - Pressure vs Size  (Read 3791 times)

Offline abeparent2000

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Pressing Cheeses - Pressure vs Size
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
hello, i read everywhere a lot of pressing weight but without the size of the mould. if i press 10 pound for a 4'' 1/2 its not the same for a 8''. do you have a pressing chart? and how to know the size of the mould when some peaple only say it press at 50 pounds. Sorry for my english im a french canadian from montreal.

zenith1

Re: Pressing Cheeses - Pressure vs Size
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
Abe- I have attached a couple of charts that were provided by other members of the forum(Wayne and others). I hope that this helps. Remember that the your final PSI is a product of  the surface area of the hoop in Square inches and the total amount of weight applied.

Offline abeparent2000

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
yes it help me a lot but i need to know when peaple give a recipe, he generaly dont give the size of the mold, how i can know what the pressing weight is needed per square inch?? thanks you!!

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:55:28 AM »
If a recipe says press with 50 lbs and says nothing about pressure it usually implies a 1 or 2 gallon batch and a 4 or 5 inch mold diameter.

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
Abe, are you asking what PSI should be used for different types of cheese or the simple math used to figure out the PSI required?

Dean in Ct.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
  I'd like to know PSI because not all molds are the same,  and I can do the math. I have the table downloaded and I am using Ricki Carrol's book. Someone said she has a 4" mold and I have a 6" so I adjust accordingly. If she's not using a 4" mold I am probably scrod.

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
I don't know if anyone has specifically asked her what size hoops she used in her recipes, but it has been widely discussed here on the forum and the generally accepted thought is that she does in fact use 4'' hoops. Probably based also on the size of the make in her recipes.I haven't look at her book in a long time and can't recall the quantities that she uses. So if you are scaling off of her recipes and adjusting for your 6" hoop you are probably OK.