Author Topic: Guinnes Washed Havarti #02  (Read 2449 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Guinnes Washed Havarti #02
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »
So with Christmas just around the corner, not really but these things take time, I decided to make another Guinness washed Havarti for gifts, actually it was made on the 3rd of September.  I meant to post earlier, but things have been pretty hectic around here.

Here was the make using a new double boiler setup.

18.9 L or 20 Quarts of 3.25% P/H milk
9 ice cubes of bulk starter
3.4 tsp CACL diluted in 1/4 cup distilled water
1/4 tsp calf rennet in 1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 Cup Pickling Salt

1.  I heated the milk to 31C and added the starter at 1118hrs.  Next time I think I will let the cubes thaw prior to adding to the milk.  I allowed to ripen for 30 min after all the cubes had melted.
2.  At 1150 hrs I added the CACL and the rennet and mixed.  I used a floc multiplier of 3 and I had a floc time of 10 min so cut in 30 min.
3.  at 1220 hrs I made the vertical  cut, then waited 5 mins then made the horizontal cuts, waited 5 min and then made the last cuts to make the 1/2 cubes.  I then let the curd rest for ten mins.
4.   at 1242 did the first wash of the curd, I removed enough whey so that there was only enough to cover the curd.  I then replaced the amount of curd with warm water.
5.   This slowly brought up the temperature to 38C, this took only about 25 mins, not the 30 the directions called for.(1305 hrs)
6.  I added the 1/2 cup of salt to the pot and stirred to mix well.  Then over the next 30 mins I stired every 5 mins (1340hrs), then as per the directions I let the curd settle for 30 mins (1410 hrs).
7.  I drained the curd, in a cheese cloth lined colander and then put the curd into my cheese cloth lined mold (Stainless Steel Pasta strainer insert)  and pressed with 4L jug of water for 20 mins (1450 hrs) then flipped and redressed and pressed over night.

I then let it air dray for 2 days and then moved it to the cave for one week.  Then I started the wash of Guinness every 2 to 3 days for the last month.  This was probably too much, but this is only my second washed rind, so I am still experimenting.  I am thinking about stopping the wash and just letting things develop.  I am not too happy with the colour this time, but I have a nice map of Europe or pangea I am not sure, but it is a different colour than the rest.  The size is 8.5 inch diameter and 2.5 inches in height.

Here are some pictures

Tomer1

Re: Guinnes Washed Havarti #02
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
Thats cool,
Why arent your satisfied with the color, looks like nice brown-orangish linens.
How does it smell?

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
very nice looking wheel. I would be very happy with the way it looks. How is the aroma developing and what are your thoughts goping forward with the aging process?

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
Thanks Tommer1,

The colouring is OK, I was just  hoping for a more even colour, I was a bit spoiled by my first one, the colour seemed to be more even, not so blotchy.  I started the wash earlier than the last one, last time I started after 3 weeks, and I think that may be the reason. I am going for a softer cheese this time.

The smell is almost a combination of Guinness and Mushrooms but that is mainly for the day after washing.  It takes on a more earthy smell the longer I wait in between washing.  Now that I have slowed down the washes, the smell is more pronounced.  It is a pleasure to open up the cave and get that whiff, it is the only one of my cheeses right now that is not vacuum sealed.

Zenith1,

I am hoping to keep this one "Un-bagged" for as long as possible.  The last one I vacuum sealed 1/2 the wheel and the flavour of the Guinness was a bit more pronounced, and the aroma was more pungent, and in this case pungent=great. 

This was the largest one (Diameter wise) that I have made so far, my little cave (small wine fridge) is great if I choose not to put any more in there. I have another fridge, but the thermostat went on it, I am using frozen 4L water jugs for cooling for that one. it seems to work I might move it down there for the long term ageing, basically until Christmas.

Cheers,

Ian

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
Well since these type of cheeses quickly go from washed rind to smear ripends, If the rind is soft enough just try to smear it. that may help get a more even coloring.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
Well the crack in the centre of what I am calling the top of the wheel has made the decision for how this will be aged (I am having humidity issues in the "cave").  I just vacuum sealed it 30 minutes ago.  I seem to have some big spikes in humidity this time of year, I had problems in the spring too.  Surprisingly I have no problems maintaining a 80 to 85% range during the summer and winter.

I vacuum sealed 1/2 of the previous one, and it softened the rind significantly, it also increased to the aroma.  The thing that surprised me the most was the Guinness flavour was more pronounced in the paste after this. I am going to check on the crack in about a month to see what is happening.  I am hopping to try and age the rest of the time out of the bag.

Ian

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »
I decided to divide up the wheel so I could distribute the cheese early (my wife could go into labour any time now) to some of the people I work with.  The stink factor was quite high and it smelled glorious.  The cheese its self was creamy yet firm.  I had to trim some of the wedges for "Quality Control" purposes  ;).  Over all I was quite happy with this make and I think it is now going into regular rotation in my makes.  It has a strong taste right out of the fridge, but it mellows a bit as it reaches room temperature.  I used light pressure when pressing and it was made with Probat 222, which produces CO2.

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
Looks great!  And, congratulations on the upcoming birth.  All the best to you and your wife. 

- Jeff

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Ian, you get just that good texture your wheel, congrats   :)

Hande
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:14:31 PM by Hande »

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 04:52:33 AM »
Very nice Ian.  I am not sure it qualified as Havarti anymore; I think you made a Trappist style cheese put of it which is much more interesting.  The yeasts on the Guinness must have helped a lot.

I've never used Probat 222 - isn't it just the same as Flora Danica?

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
Thanks Jeff, Hande, Iratherfly

I never thought of it as being a Trappist style cheese, thanks for pointing that out.  I looked up the specs for Probat 222 and this is what they said and I think you are right it is the same as Flora Danica

This is from Danlac.com (where I get most of my supplies)
Probat 222

Composition:
Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis

Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris

Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

Properties:
Fast acidifying culture for the production of cheese, fresh cheese, fermented milk products and sour cream butter. Probat 222 LYO 50 DCU forms lactic acid predominantly of the L(+) type. Due to its fast citrate fermentation, the culture forms a medium aroma (diacetyl) and very fast CO2.

I emailed the owner after my first cheese(the first one I ever made)made had small eyes in it, that is when he mentioned the CO2.  But yes the amount of Guinness I used on this cheese definitely contributed to the texture and the eyes closer to the rind, especially after I did not notice the crack in the top.

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
I don't think the yeasts in the Guinness had so much with the eyes in the paste but more with deacidifying the rind. They might have contributed but mostly the eyes are created with yeasts and lactic bacterium that are well propagated in the shaped cheese before you would do your first wash, but some if it does get in and help.