Author Topic: 30 minute Mozzarella attempt - and failure. Can you help?  (Read 4248 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
30 minute Mozzarella attempt - and failure. Can you help?
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
First attempt to make Mozzarella using Ricki Carroll’s kit and instructions. Temp in the kitchen is 72 degrees and it is 2:30 PM. Got one gallon of Manchester Farms milk which is pasteurized but not homogenized with an expiration date of 12 days from today.

Used one quarter cup of filtered water from fridge. Crushed a quarter tables of Rennet and stirred it in. Stirred it for a while, but it never fully dissolved. (Maybe the water is too cold?)

One and half-teaspoons of Citric Acid was stirred into one cup of water from fridge (Our water is chlorinated. Could that have caused the ensuing problems?). This dissolved in the water very fast. Poured the mixture into the stainless steel two gallon pot I am using followed by the milk, and then I stirred it all with a wooden spoon. Put the pot on the stove (middle row, front burner) and turned on the burner on Low. Time was 2:40 PM. Used thermometer to check the milk temp (64 degrees) and stirred slowly until the milk reached 90 degrees (this went until 2:52 PM).

Stirred in the Rennet solution which still showed crystals in the water. Used the wooden spoon to stir slowly for 30 seconds using up and down motion and then turned off the heat and covered the pot. Waited five minutes. When I looked inside, the milk had started to coagulate but was still very liquid and was not separating from the pot and I could see no whey at all. So, I waited five more minutes with the pot covered. Looked again, still the same. (Do I need more Rennet?) So, I waited 5 more minutes. After this, the milk temp was down to 88 degrees and tilting the pot slightly showed a custard like surface and separation from the side. Finally!

I used a pastry knife to cut the curds as shown in the booklet with the four cuts. Looked good as far as I knew with the curds separating from a yellowish-green whey. I set the pot back on the burner and turned it on low. Moved the curds around with the spoon while waiting for the curds to reach 105 degrees. As I was working this, the curds separated out and started sinking into the whey and also seems to start stretching out (they lost their shape and were becoming little shiny blobs).

When the mix reached 105 degrees I turned the fire off but kept stirring for three more minutes. At this point, I could only see a milky whey at the top of the pot and the temp was down to 103 degrees (time was 3:29 PM). I poured off the why then ladeled the solids into a glass bowl.

Microwaved the solids for one minute in a 1300 watt microwave, poured off some more whey and added one teaspoon of salt. Tried pulling the solids but they never formed into a ball, instead it felt like they were separating out more. Put it back in the microwave for 3 sets of 30 seconds each time to get it up to 135 degrees but by this point the solids had broken down into a milky substance that had no firmness to it at all. It looked like it became a liquid again, and also was not holding any shape. Time now was 3:51PM

Took the dog for a walk.

At 4:19 I looked at it again and the stuff looked like very thin cottage cheese with a few small lumps in it. Decided this was not working so put it in a colander that was lined with cheese cloth and gave up for the evening. The next morning, what I had was a firmer white cheese the tasted like Fromage Blanc -  which I mixed with chives and spread on bread. Tasty, but not what I was looking for.

Help?

Tobiasrer

Re: 30 minute Mozzarella attempt - and failure. Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
I had the same issue!
Ended up with a spread, nothing close to mozza. I have read alot on here though that this recipe is far from a great one to use. I tried 2x I got what I thought was way better curds on the second try but whne heated i gt NO stretch just liquid like white cheeze whiz!  :-\

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
I don't trust Ricki Carroll's 30 minute mozz recipe - mostly because I've found four different versions, all authored by her...I tried it a couple of times and once got good results, using raw milk. 

It's been so long since I've made citric acid mozz that I honestly don't remember how I did it when I was successful, so I can't really give any feedback.  Sorry!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
A few observations:

You gave pretty good detail of your make but didn't say what kind of rennet that you used. Since you mention "crystals" I assume that you used a Junket tablet. Yes? If so, I personally hate those. In any case, it sounds like you didn't use enough. That is further confirmed by the length of time it took to set.

Yes, chlorine can effect citric acid, but more importantly your rennet.

My personal recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of citric for 2 gallons of milk. Mozz is very pH sensitive, so you probably didn't use enough Citric Acid.

Milky whey probably indicates that you stirred too aggressively and lost milk fats. Use a double boiler and stir less.

Some of your symptoms may also be caused by the milk itself.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
I would also add this:
  • Lose the wooden spoon. Find a stainless steel substitute or a plastic one. The wood can be difficult to sanitize.
  • Whatever rennet you use should be dissolved in non-chlorinated cold water just before you use it. It tends to lose effectiveness otherwise.
  • A show of hands on the forum seems to peg MrsKK's mozz recipe as the gold standard. You might search on it.
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I also contacted Ricki's help line and the answer there was: the milk. Maybe.

Lose the wooden spoon - OK. Will get a stainless stell perforated one before next attempt.
Rennet - the stuff I used was what came from Ricki's kit, not Junket. It is not labeled Renet - but I do not recall right now the exact label.
Water - I am looking for some bottled water to use next. Any ideas on which brands in wide circulation are NOT chlorinated?
Be less aggressive in stirring - check!

How do I check the milk's temp? As I mentioned, the milk I got is the only one I found that was non-homogenized and only pasteurized. Of course, I have no idea what temps they used...

Thanks again for the help, everyone. I am not giving up yet, and will try again next weekend, but am open to more suggestions.

ellenspn

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:16 PM »
Use distilled water.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
Use distilled water.
Ditto. Painfree.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the nod, Boofer.  You make me blush.

Regarding water, you can use tap water that has been boiled and then cooled to room temp, which removes the chlorine.  Linuxboy once said that adding a bit of milk to the water will also nullify the chlorine, something I'd never heard before.

ellenspn

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »
As far as thermometers go, you can get some nice inexpensive ones on Amazon.com I use a a $13 Taylor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004XSC5  It's very handy when you have a pot one place and the readout someplace close.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
Thanks again everyone. Always glad of the help!

Anyway, I contacted the farm that I got the milk from. They pasteurize at 160 degrees for between 15 and 17 seconds. I supposed that takes the milk out of the list of culprits. No?  (as a reminder, this is pasteurized but non-homogenized milk from a local organic farm)

My next attempt will be to follow the exact same recipe, but use distilled water and get a stainless steel perforated ladle.

Question for the experts here: If the milk displays the same symptoms through the first waiting period, do I add more Rennet? More Citric Acid? Both? How much of each? Or do I junk the attempt and start all over?

cmharris6002

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
It sounds like too much citric acid. A lot of people I know who make this recipe have the same problem. If you just use 1 teaspoon per gallon you should be fine.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
Tried it again and failed again. I am starting a new thread to discuss my second failure. Please read and help if you can. Thanks.