Author Topic: Advice requested on my first smeared Tomme  (Read 3647 times)

psearle

Advice requested on my first smeared Tomme
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
Hi

I've been making a series of Tommes over the last couple of months using the recipes from this site.  As I now seem to be getting fairly consistent results I have started to try some variations on the theme.  My latest attempt has been to try to make a smeared rind Tomme with B. Linens.  Things seem to be going suspiciously well with this cheese so far and I'm looking for some advice on how I proceed.

The cheese was made with 16 litres of previously frozen goat milk using 3/8 tsp of MA100 as a starter and 4 ml of animal rennet.  Flocc time was much longer than usual at 25 minutes and curds were cut 87 minutes after renneting.  After scalding, moulding and pressing gently overnight the cheese was weighed at 1.75 kg and then soaked in 18% brine for 14 hours.

After 7 days the cheese looked good and I started a regime of spraying with 1/32 tsp B. Linens SR3 in 100 ml of 3% brine.  The cheese was sprayed lightly  on days 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 20 and has now developed a nice looking pale orange bloom all over and is beginning to smell quite strongly.

I had planned to continue the spraying on days 24 and 28.  As I now have things growing well, do I still need to do this or can I stop spraying now?

I would really like to vacuum pack this cheese soon and leave it for a couple more months to mature.  Can I do this and, if so, how soon and is there anything I need to do first?  Should I put the cheese in a strong (18%) brine bath to stop the B. Linens from developing further?

Any answers/advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Advice requested on my first smeared Tomme
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
From what i understand Tommes are supposed to have a natural rind with multiple species of micro organisms living on it. Therefore vacuum packing is a big no no. Imo you should leave the B. Linens do its thing and stop washing to develop a multi species natural rind.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
What I understand about Tomme cheeses is that the characteristics may vary widely.

I've done a Merlot-dipped rind, a Moscato wine-washed rind, and most recently, a wholly natural rind. The first two were vacuum-sealed after completing a reasonable preliminary affinage. I continued their affinage in the vacuum bag. I also have a couple Beauforts in their vacuum bags now, aging into a year.

The vacuum bagging helps retain moisture in the cheese and still allows the aging to occur. What I have found is that the rind texture and moisture level is affected if sealed in a vacuum bag. A lot of cheeses that might ordinarily have maintained a drier, firmer rind become moister and less firm on the rind. I think it depends on what you're willing to accept as a final product. The paste may be quite the same either way, but the rind characteristics may go one way or the other.

The other thought is that the vacuum-bagging may draw moisture out of the cheese, leaving it between the cheese and plastic bag, which would also cause a change to the rind character.

At some point when you are happy with the linens growth, you might stop washing or spraying and just rub or lightly brush it twice a week or so, maintaining the temp and humidity.

That cheese looks pretty good.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
The tommes I had eventually were left for the rind to dry and had a fairy tough rind,
almost inedible,but I usually dont eat it anyhow since the molds usually taste very spicy and "cloud" the complex flavour of the paste.
The paste also dries up a bit,not as rubbery as a young one but still have a fair amount of moisture and alot of creaminess.

psearle

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
Thanks Aris, Boofer and Tomer for your comments. 

The linens bloom continues to develop daily -  I'll make the decision on Monday as to whether to keep with the spraying schedule or stop and leave it to itself.  I think that after that I'll follow the advice to rub or lightly brush twice a week for a while and see what develops. 

I take the points made on vacuum wrapping.  I have already vacuum packed a couple of efforts (including one which was marinated in red wine then dried) and have had no problems so far with moisture being drawn out.

I made another 16 litre batch yesterday but this time inoculated the milk with 3/8 MM100, 1/16 TA62, 1/32 Geo 15 and 1/64 B Linens SR3.  All went well as before but I ended up with more curds than would fit the mould so put the excess into an open bottomed 4" mould.  This morning I had a 4 lb and a 3/4 lb to brine bath.  The little fella has finished his bath and is drying, the big boy comes out of the bath in a couple of hours.  I'm intending to use 3% brine washes every couple of days for 2 or 3 weeks as in the reblochon recipe from Sue on  this forum.

I'll post pictures when these start getting interesting (or need chucking!).

Thanks again

Pete

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:20 AM »
I wanted to add also that with my recent Tilsit that is nearing its 3 month affinage, I had been rubbing it. A bit of blue mold started to appear here and there between rubbings. I dusted on a little salt and rubbed that around, sanding the offending areas. Weeks later and no problem.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:39 AM »
Do you have to let linens air each day?  Or can they just stay in the ripening box all the time?

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
Do you have to let linens air each day?  Or can they just stay in the ripening box all the time?

- Jeff
Optimal results are gained from giving them a breather twice a week. Take 'em out for a walk with the dog.  I would think you'd want to check on them from time to time anyway to ensure that everything was copasetic. In the course of my checking, washing/rubbing, etc., the cheeses get some fresh air.

Otherwise, yes, they remain under house arrest in their minicaves.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  I've been wiping it down every other day, and letting it sit out afterwards for a while (30 minutes or so).  That should do it.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »
How would you optimaly get a drier (almost gruyere like texture) paste?
Should one lower the humidity to 80-85% after about 8 weeks and let the cheese lose moisture and the rind to dry up?
Or should I originally aim for lower moisture and press harder?

Cloversmilker

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Or cut the curds smaller and cook at slightly higher temp?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:47 AM »
Once the rind has developed you certianly can vaumm seal or wax the cheese.  The rind will continue to grow, but the moisture loss will be arrested.