Author Topic: Potassium Sorbate (Sorbic Acid) and B Linens  (Read 2222 times)

silverjam

Potassium Sorbate (Sorbic Acid) and B Linens
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
I understand potassium sorbate can be used to spray cheese to stop mould. I have used it occasionally on stubborn cheddar and romano that attracts mould, with success. I am wondering if it can be used on b linen type cheese such as Tilsit, Port Salut and Reblochon? Will the sorbate kill the b linens? I am guessing it would for cheeses such as Raclette where the rind is very much b linen based but what about tilsit where the rind is more brine washed and dryer? Also has any one got more specific details on amounts of sorbate to use generally in spraying 'normal' cheeses? For me it is a bit hit an miss because I always try to use the bare minimal. Any thoughts?

Tomer1

Re: Potassium Sorbate (Sorbic Acid) and B Linens
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Sorbate doesnt kill anything, it inhibits the reproducion cycle of yeasts meaning growth.
You need to first the move the mold clean and then wash the rind with a concentrated solution. (dont remember how much ppm)

The reason your washing the rind is to invite molds\yeast so why would you want to use sorbate?
Or what do you want to wash them if you dont want mold? simply wax or vaccum then.

I recently used sorbate to treat a waxed cheddar which had some mold growing under likely from a hairline crack. I unwaxed  ,cleaned the rind ,washed with saturated brine+sorbate ,dried and rewaxed.
Its been a month and no sign of mold.
Im gone use sorbate exclusivly from now on for waxed cheeses.

Tomer1

Re: Potassium Sorbate (Sorbic Acid) and B Linens
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
" I was just thinking of using it to clean the grey/blue mould spots that compete with my b linen when I am making Raclette or Port Solut for example"
Not a good idea, you will be killing your linens along the way, its like using the A bomb.
Just pay closer attention to the cheese and wash off any blue or black spots as soon as they apear.

Yeah I know romano shouldnt be waxed but I didnt it anyhow :)
I might let it out the wax to lose moisture when summer is over and temps drop a bit,
To keep my cheese cave at 10c in this heat means its running non stop which is just wasteful so I'l continue to keep it at my main fridge for now at about 8c.