Author Topic: How do you use Penicillium Roqueforti?  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: How do you use Penicillium Roqueforti?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
Linuxboy,
What about President brand Brie cheese? I've read here that its a stabilized cheese and the PC outside doesn't ripen the cheese which indicates its not active.

Darius,
Same as a blue cheese. Except the bread can be stored at a higher temp. The bread can be aged in a plastic bag but moisture accumulates making the bread wet. Age it like you would age a blue cheese, in a tupperware with a platform like in my photo.

linuxboy

Re: How do you use Penicillium Roqueforti?
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 01:06:31 AM »
What about President brand Brie cheese? I've read here that its a stabilized cheese and the PC outside doesn't ripen the cheese which indicates its not active.
IIRC, that thread said if you take it home, it's pointless to try to ripen it, because a stabilized cheese will not ripen any more. It's still ripened after brining, same as all cams. It just doesn't get gooey. There's still p candidum on it, and unless it's old or retorted or something weird was done to it (UV), the p candidum will be viable. It doesn't keep ripening because of pH and lactate levels, not so much because there's no p candidum on it.