Author Topic: Camamber, Goat Milk - Penicillium candidum & Geotrichum candidum Dosage Rates  (Read 1309 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
I was contemplating goat milk camembert, and was wondering if there is a dosage standard either in weight or teaspoon unit, per gallon of milk.  Peter Dixon's recipe calls for "one dose" pencad  and "1/5 of dose" Geo.  Not sure what that means.  I am working with 10 gallons milk around 86 lbs.  Any help would be appreciated.

cheesequeen

The recipe I have been using on my cam and successful with it uses 1/64 tsp of geo and pcn per gallon of milk. I use store bought cow's milk.

boothrf

For 10 litres of milk (just over 2 gallons) I use about 1/64th teaspoon of PC and a little less Geo, directly in the milk. I also add a small amount of each into the brine I use for salting the cheese. The actual amount you use is not that critical really, only slightly affecting the rate of growth of the mould. Far more important is the maturing conditions, temperature and humidity.

Good luck  :)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Thank you both for the info.  Doing some further research, I came across some additional guidlines.  According to a culture retailer, they recommend 1/8 t GEO per 8 -10 gallons and 1/4 t PENCAD for 8 to 10 gallons.  I only wish they would provide weight measures as I feel that is more accurate, but for the time being I guess that will do.