Author Topic: My Second Cheddar  (Read 2890 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
My Second Cheddar
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Last weekend(started on Saturday 15 Oct) I tried my hand at another Cheddar, the plan for this one is to wait until at least December 2012 to try it.

I used the directions from 200 cheeses. I also made my own mold out of a food safe container that we had at the house.  I used my roaster vat to make the cheese.

1.  I heated 12L of 2% Dairyland Milk to 31C
2.  I added 4 cubes of bulk starter made with Probat 222.
3.  I let ripen for 30 minutes (I really need to get a pH Meter)
4.  Mixed 1/4 tsp CaCl in distilled water and added to the vat.
5.  Added 1/8 tsp of calf rennet in 1/4 cup distilled water and then in to the vat.
6.  I had a floc time of 14 minutes x 3 = 42 minutes.
7.  Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.  (I waited 3 minutes in between each cut)  and then let rest for 10 mins.
8.  I then heated the curd, stirring every few minutes to bring it up to 39C.  It only took 35 minutes not the 45 minutes in the directions.
9.  I then let the curd sit for 30 minutes and maintained the temperature.
10.  Next came the fun part, I drained off the whey and then put it back into the roaster vat to cheddar.
11.  After the first 10 minutes I cut the curd into slabs and then stacked the curd one on top of the other.  Then after 10 minutes I flipped them, and then after ten more minutes I flipped again etc.
12.  I then milled the curd and added 2 1/2 Tbsp of salt and then pack it into my new mold.
13.  I started with 8.5 kg for 30 minutes then flipped/redressed and pressed using 26 kg of weight and pressed over night.

It turned out to be 6x6x1.5 inch square. It air dried for for 4 days and then I waxed it and it is in the cave.  I used some red bees wax that I cut with olive oil.  I guess I will see how that turns out. The pictures are from the Sunday afternoon.

JeffHamm

Re: My Second Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
That looks like it turned out pretty good Ian!  And, after a year and a bit, it should be very good.  I would keep an eye on it if you waxed it after 4 days to make sure you don't have any moisture under the wax.  I've read where some people like to age a month before waxing.  I let a Wensleydale air dry and age for about 2 weeks and then waxed it, and it still devleoped some mold under the wax.  Easy to fix, just cut through the wax, remove mold, wax over top again, but you do need to check it.  I think it if goes for a month or two without any problems you should be in the clear.   Good luck with it.

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
I did have concerns too, but our house is quite dry, RH is about 30% right now.  The Cheese was Dry as a bone after 4 days, there was no moisture, so I felt safe in waxing.  I am going to check on it in about a week.  If the waxing is a no go then I will vacuum seal it up.  The other issue is that my wax is a fairly opaque so I may have to do a few test areas.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
Hi Ian,

How is your bee's wax/olive oil mix holding up?  I've read some people find bee's wax will crack, but cutting in some oil should help prevent that.  If you got a good result, did you take notes on how much oil to wax you mixed up?

And how's the cheese doing underneath it all?

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
I have taken a peek under the hood so to speak, and the wax is holding up and no moisture underneath.  I have  my fingers crossed that it will hold up for the long haul.  I am not planning to "open" it until next November/December. It is sort of a 1st Birthday Cheese for the little one (still has to get here yet).  I love old cheddar so I am hoping the rest of the family will too.  Now I wonder if 12-14 months classifies as "old".

The wax is holding up pretty well, it has not cracked yet.  I think the fact I am pretty much leaving this one alone to do its thing will help with the wax.  I am usually not one to wax my cheese, but I was out of vacuum bags and I really wanted to make it stand out in the cave.  I wish I would have taken better notes on how much olive oil I put in, but I was in a mad scientist kind of mood with the waxing

Cheers,

Ian

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:51:15 AM »
Should be nice in a year.  I think the wax "cracking" is more of an issue when you go to cut it, but I suspect it won't last long once you cut into it anyway! 

No problem on the wax/oil mixture.  I often think notes would have been a good idea well after the fact too; and I am a scientist!  I think that's why I don't approach my cheese making in a one change per experiment way - too much like work. Yah, that's it.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:56:38 AM by JeffHamm »

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »
Yep cutting open the bees wax (I cut it with coconut oil which is solid at room temp) is not easy.
It sticks and doesnt come off clean, but maybe I need to apply it colder...

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Well I spoke top soon about my waxing success, it was a shock to see major cracks and lots of mold under the wax.  I had to strip the wax off, and then with a saturated brine and vinegar, I wanted to kill the mold good, cleaned it all off.  It is now sitting in the cave and had been vacuum sealed and there it shall be until next December.  I am done with waxing for the time being, I might pay the shipping (yes I am cheap sometimes) and order some cheese wax.

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
Bummer.  I don't mind waxing cheeses I intend to age for a long time.  You can reuse it, and you can toss in the wax off bought cheeses to increase your supply (just wash the "cheese side" to get as much cheese off as you can. I've got a vaccuum sealer, but it's finicky to get a good seal.  I use this for shorter aging, or extending a cut piece, etc. 

- Jeff

GlennK

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
That looks like it turned out pretty good Ian!  And, after a year and a bit, it should be very good.  I would keep an eye on it if you waxed it after 4 days to make sure you don't have any moisture under the wax.  I've read where some people like to age a month before waxing.  I let a Wensleydale air dry and age for about 2 weeks and then waxed it, and it still devleoped some mold under the wax. Easy to fix, just cut through the wax, remove mold, wax over top again, but you do need to check it.  I think it if goes for a month or two without any problems you should be in the clear.   Good luck with it.

- Jeff
How can you tell if mold is forming under the wax?  I'm about 6 weeks into my first cheddar and it seems to be going fine.  I flip it a couple of times a week and I inspect it for problems and haven't found any.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
How can you tell if mold is forming under the wax?  I'm about 6 weeks into my first cheddar and it seems to be going fine.  I flip it a couple of times a week and I inspect it for problems and haven't found any.

I noticed the mold under the way, by discolouration in in the large cracks I found in my wax.  I have never used proper cheese wax , only bees wax cut with olive oil. If you haven't seen any by now, then maybe you are safe.

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
Hi GlennK,

I have an orange wax, and if mould developes underneath it you can see it as a dark spot quite easily.  Wax doesn't need to be a foot thick, rather a couple layers brushed on (or dipped twice) will be fine as long as you make sure there are no pin holes. 

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »
Well my reason for not making cheese for the last bit, and the reason for this cheese!  At 0829 hrs MST our daughter Chloe was born, she was 8lbs 14 oz, and she came into this world the way I hope she lives her life.  Kicking, Screaming, raising a fuss, and demanding the attention of everyone in the room! What an awesome Christmas Gift!

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 04:02:34 AM »
Congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your lovely daughter, Ian!  We had our 2nd four months ago, and he's doing well.  Great gifts they are, and, like all great gifts, they just keep on taking ... uh giving, yah that's it!  :) 

A cheese to you!

- Jeff

ellenspn

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:02 AM »
She's adorable!