Author Topic: first sheep milk manchegos (and goudas)  (Read 4910 times)

elkato

first sheep milk manchegos (and goudas)
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Hello everyone.
 This is my first post maybe I should have done an intoduction, but since I have so many questions I am going to jump in.
My name is Luis, and I am starting a sheep dairy in Queretaro Mexico,
 for 2012 my production will be small (5gal/day as most of my sheep are ewe lambs and did not breed this season) 2013 will more than double that. meanwhile with the milk of four ewes, Ricki Carroll book and the invaluable information in this forum I have jumped into cheese making.(And I am hooked!!)

I have done a couple of runs with the manchego recipe,and also the gouda recipe, some I have added 1/3 to 1/2 cow milk, fresh from my neighbor's cows thinking that maybe that way I can expand my production but dont know how much will the quality suffer. anyhow I will wait at least 2 or 3 months to cut the cheeses and see how I am dooing,
 As cultures I have used; Sacco MS 064 CP  and MO 032,  [url][http://www.saccosrl.it/pdfSchedeTecniche/M91MS064CP0UK0.pdfurl]
MO 032 has cremoris but not thermophilus or biovar diacetylactis. the first run I used only MS 064 cp in the last I used little of the two is this OK? what about for gouda?

I have also done Greek /strained yougurt (wich came out great!)
the first runs I used microbial rennet from Sacco, the last I got chymomax from Hansen but I am googoling all I can to make my own lamb/abomasum rennet next year.
My plan is to go small scale comercial cremery wich I am building (litle by litle with the info from here)

I want to thank everyone here for sharing their information and their time I will be posting my questions, but not before going over all the info written on each subject, but for now let me know what you think of my plans, the cultures I am using and the sheep/cow mix idea and also what rind treatment do you recomend for 2lb weels
thank you.
Luis.

linuxboy

Re: first sheep milk manchegos (and goudas)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Welcome. Love the sheep pics :)

I used little of the two is this OK? what about for gouda?

If you like the taste, it is okay. If not, it's not :). Best results for gouda are with DL culture. Meaning something leuconostoc for the heterofermentive, buttery flavor.

I am googoling all I can to make my own lamb/abomasum rennet next year.

No need; it is on the forum. Please see my posts.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4133.msg38203.html#msg38203

If you need help, let me know. For example, you can prepare it as a paste, powder, save the dried abomassa and use as strips. You can prepare with or without esterase, depending on it you want a piquant flavor or not.

my plans

Best of luck :)

the cultures I am using

Good for a start, you might want to adjust if you want a different flavor.
the sheep/cow mix idea

Very doable, depends on your market and what you can sell.

also what rind treatment do you recomend for 2lb weels

What do your customers like?

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
Great looking cheeses.  Much success to you.  I think the mix of milks is fine.  You may care to research what% of each milks are traditionally used in mixed milk cheeses.  Or you can see what works well for ewe (ba dum tsssst). 

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
Welcome Luis, what a great operation.

I would love to work with sheep's milk so I am very jealous! It's so expensive here! ($20/gal)

Good luck with the creamery. Would love to see how those cheeses progress

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
Hola y bienvenido!
I make sheeps's milk cheese during the summer when my neighbor is milking her sheep. I often combine it with cow's milk to bring down the cost of the cheese; usually mix it half and half.
I mostly make Manchego and Tomme, and sometimes blue cheese from sheep milk. And sheep yogurt is the best!
I just checked my notes for Manchego; I used my own homemade yoghurt and buttermilk as a starter for the cheese the last few times. I generally make 3-4 gallon cheeses and let the rind form naturally for 2-3 months before vacumn bagging it. 6 months is my target aging.
Good luck with your operation.
Pam

elkato

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome!

Linuxboy; really appreciate your guidance, the information on abomasum rennet is just what I was looking for, I had found only separate fragments of the recipe. Next February when the lambing begins and I have a raw abomasum in my hand for sure I will need your help! How many 4 week old lamb abases do you think I need to collect for +- 1000 gal.?

I don't really yet know the costumer's preference on rind I am in the process of researching what is on the market in my area,
I have a gallon of "cleriplast" which is a plastic polymer with fungicide which I was going to try, but then I think that this kind of product doesn't go hand in hand with small production artisan cheese I want to offer,
 maybe natural/oil rind on the mango and natural bees wax for the Goudas will look more appropriate?

and this brings me to yet another question is there an advantage to making larger wheels like 5-6 pounds cutting them in small wedges after aging and vacuum seal. or making a lot of small 1/2 pound wheels?
 In a fragment of the book "fundamentals of cheese science" I found an explanation of what DL cultures are (not that I understand it) but one good thing I saw in the culture that I am using is that it has "citrate fermentation" so I hope that the trials come out OK. it is funny how at the beginner stage it takes so many months just to see if you are on the right track! well I can't complaint because I am enjoying the process!
thanks again!  ;D

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
for 1,000 gals, I would say about 15-20. It depends on how well they are processed, handled and on your yield. Also on the cheese type. It takes 8-10 calves for that many, and in calves, the abomasum is larger, of course.

The natural look works great. I suggest to do pimenton or other pepper plus oil for a natural finish. For Gouda, you can do beeswax, but it will crack. You will have to modify it, such as by adding vegetable oil.

like 5-6 pounds cutting them in small wedges after aging and vacuum seal. or making a lot of small 1/2 pound wheels?

It's easier to control aging in larger wheels. Also easier to control moisture loss. If you do small wheels, have to wax them or protect somehow.

Yes, right, DL cultures have heterofermentive bacteria that will consume citrate as well as lactate along different metabolic pathways.

Happy you're having fun :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »
Ah Manchego - The cheese of legend - I have made 2 to date.  both with cows milk as I can't find a supply of Sheep milk in Brisbane Australia.  The first was an experiment that turned out so well I now make this cheese as a staple chesse cave resident.  The first was such a sucess that it was gone in a weekend.  The second I will guard more closely. The second is now in the 'cave'.   This is a Saffron infused Manchego and with be rubbed and oiled(sounds a bit kinky  8) ) from now until Christmas.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Priestman

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »
Your animals look great, Luis (and the cheeses, too).  I make 4-5 pound wheels and sell typically by the 1/4 or 1/2 pound though I would like to try to make some mini rounds--less work cutting/weighing/packaging/and maybe a little more money per pound.  If you get to trying them before me, let me know.  I am just about out of milk for the season, so will tackle that project in the spring.  Best wishes from Nearly Canada, New Hampshire.  Paul

elkato

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:53:03 AM »
Grand opening! first 100% sheep milk manchego, starter used Sacco MS 064CP, not many people in this forum using Sacco products, the guy who imports this to Mexico recommended me this one, it also has s. termophilus and citrate fermentation, well afther only 60 days it has strong buttery flavor the cheese is somewhat dry but flexible, I am really happy because it is frankly quite good! the rind was natural with olive oil and paprika.

MrsKK

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Looking good!  I wish you success in your venture.  Make sure to keep us updated.

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:09 PM »
Looks fantastic!  I don't even know who imports Sacco in the US

elkato

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 04:27:46 AM »
Priestman, Ozziecheese, Pam, Iratherfly, SmilingCalico, MrsKK and of course Linuxboy thank you all soo much!!