Author Topic: My first Fetta  (Read 2420 times)

boothrf

My first Fetta
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:09:23 PM »
Hi all,

Made my first Fetta last weekend and very happy with the results. I usually make Cams and have to wait weeks before tasting, so getting to try my cheese in a couple of days is fantastic!

8 litres of fresh cows milk yielding 1.2kg of beautiful fresh Fetta. Flavour is very good, rich creamy tatse and a hint of sharpness from the lipase. Texture is quite firm, but not rubbery. Plan to cube some of it and marinate in olive oil and herbs. The rest I'll eat fresh with salads.

My next make will stir a little less and aim for a crumblier texture.

smilingcalico

Re: My first Fetta
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:45:29 AM »
Looking good, Bob.  Nice shape.  What did you use for a mold?

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:32 AM »
Thanks smilingcalico,I  used moulds purchased from a supplier here in Melbourne called Cheeselinks. They are a nominal 500g mould, 105mm x 105mm at the base, 110mm x 110mm at the top and 85mm high.  (Approximately 4" x 4" x 3.5" high, 1.1lbs). I have attached a photo and a link to their website.

http://shop.cheeselinks.com.au/Cheese-Baskets-and-Hoops-c12/

Bob

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:27 AM »
Really nice. The texture looks perfect.  I use that mould too, for bloomy cheeses. It gives them really nice texture

boothrf

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
Thanks iratherfly, I'm very happy with my first attempt. ;D

I have cubed and marinated some of the Fetta, cant wait to try it!

ellenspn

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
Have you tasted it yet.  I've yet to marinate any of mine but it just may be time to try it with my current batch  :)

boothrf

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »
Yes, beautiful ellenspn. I marinated the cubes in EV olive oil and added a blend of dried herbs, a little chilli and some pepper. They are beautiful on their own, or tossed through a salad where the flavoured oil makes a lovely dressing. Not much left now, but they are still beautiful and firm, and very tasty :)

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »
My only problem marinating these in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is that it hardens in the fridge. It should be diluted with Canola oil. It is lighter and less viscous, absorbs flavors better than olive oil, doesn't harden in the fridge, very flavor-neutral and way cheaper. I would do 75% canola 25% olive.

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Hey Bob, loving the look of the fetta. Makes me want to make some now. Once school holidays are on I am doing it. One question for you though, how did you make your brine to store it in? What are the quantities salt/water you used? I have made brine for some haloumi and it was way too strong. Keen to get it right.

Cheers

Richard

boothrf

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »
Thanks Richard.  :)

Fetta is a great cheese to make as it can be eaten almost straight away, and it can be kept in the brine for weeks/months.

I made my brine to roughly 12.5 % strength, mixing 150g salt with 1 litre boiled, hot water. I make it the day before so it has time to cool in the fridge.

A number of people on the forum have posted problems with their fetta going soft. I have not had that problem, but I do add a teaspoon of vinegar to the brine as recommnded by most posters.

You will see lots of posts regarding brine strength:lots of posters dislike the salty tastte from brines over 10% strength.  However, you need a stronger brine if you plan to keep your cheese for any length of time. Personally, I don't have an issue with the salty taste, and it can be washed/soaked off with milk anyway.

Good luck, and dont hesitate to ask any questions you might have.