Author Topic: USA, New York - Hoops & Molds  (Read 11435 times)

iratherfly

USA, New York - Hoops & Molds
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
I have lots of unused moulds/hoops which I intended on putting up for sale around here.  I have 2 Ø 115mm Camembert hoops left. They are from France. Together they will give fit the yield of 1 gallon milk. If you are interested, they are $9 each. Top left two in the photo
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:24:37 PM by iratherfly »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: USA, New York - Hoops & Molds
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
I have lots of unused moulds/hoops which I intended on putting up for sale around here.  I have 2 Ø 115mm Camembert hoops left. They are from France. Together they will give fit the yield of 1 gallon milk. If you are interested, they are $9 each. Top left two in the photo
Yeah, we talked about Bucherons. Is that a bust? What was the volume/size again?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

gstone

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Wow, impressive.  The indexed photo itself is awesome.

Thanks so much for the generous offer, but cheeseconnection.net is local for me, so I can save on shipping by picking them up about two miles away.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »
Iratherfly,

I am interested in buying some of your molds.  I don't have camembert molds, so if you still have 2 on offer I will be happy to buy them. 

I'll pm with contact info,
Mina

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:47:36 AM »
Boofer - No, actually they are on their way -and more good news: I was able to get an even bigger size! Your choice between ø 83mm x 160mm high (About 350g-600g final cheese) or ø 120mm x 196mm high (900g-1200g final cheese)

NW Fromager - no problem. Glad you are getting proper moulds! You won't regret it.

Cloversmilker -I have two left but I am getting 30 more next week so just PM me with whatever you need. I am not a store so I will be somewhat cheaper than most online retailers

corey

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
iratherfly,
wondering if you have any molds left willing to sell.
$9 a piece?
How can I get started on purchasing those?
Corey

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:24 AM »
Just wondering, how exacly do you make the corsican (thermo) style mini tommes in thos riccota baskets?
Does the cheese "even out" in top\bottom diameter while it dries?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »
Hi Yoav,
If you have any good for chevre or crottin  I would love to buy them from you.

We have lots of babies here and I am almost ready to start that crottin.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
I'm also interested in the 1.5-2kg Tomme moulds. Pricing? Do you have them?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »
So sorry for replying so late to this. I was not on the site for a couple of weeks. Just sent you a direct message.

Below answers to ALL OF YOU - Corey, Tomer, Steff and Boofer

Cory - Yes, I do have these and many others as I am expanding my stock to carry more.

Just wondering, how exacly do you make the corsican (thermo) style mini tommes in thos riccota baskets?
Does the cheese "even out" in top\bottom diameter while it dries?

Tomer - As in the old days, where cheese in these warm weather areas used to be drained and moulded into wicker baskets. This is a polymer mimic of the same thing. It leaves wicker-like indentations on the cheese which are really beautiful. In some cases you have truncated shape of a reverse basket in the final cheese. In other recipes the cheesemaker flips the cheese during the process to get a symmetric double-truncated form factor (or press it with two basket moulds, or fuse the cheese from two moulds into one) such as in Berkswell cheese:

In other cases, the mould itself is like a basket without the truncated format:

Hi Yoav,
If you have any good for chevre or crottin  I would love to buy them from you.

We have lots of babies here and I am almost ready to start that crottin.

Steff!!! How are you? I thought we were going to work on some cheese together (was it crottin?).  Yes, I have about 20 different formats of Crottin moulds, from aperitif size to full size.  I am willing to trade you for some of that amazing goats milk of yours. In fact, maybe we should do something together? I will bring the moulds up to the farm and you and I will design some new original super-awesome cheese for you?  Your milk gave me the best Crottins I've ever made. IM me and let's get in touch. I can get you whatever you need

I'm also interested in the 1.5-2kg Tomme moulds. Pricing? Do you have them?

-Boofer-

Yes Boofer, they are on their way. I have two types: The first is dual purpose small tomme and Reblochon, with follower (perfect for light pressing such as with Reblochon and Tomme). The second type is high flow (drains fast or could be lined up with cheesecloth). These are stackable instead of having a follower lid. That is perfect for Tommes as most Tomme recipes call for pressing them lightly with a weight equivalent or double their own weight. It also makes it super easy to flip all of them in one motion without taking them out of the mould or risking any accidents.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:55:12 AM by iratherfly »

Missy Greene

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:44 AM »
HI Yoav,
 Do you have still those lovely basket shaped molds? What are the sizes and prices??
 Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »
...Ya ha!

I am actually waiting for a shipment of them in 3 sizes: 200-300g, 500g and 1000g-1500g. They range from $1 to $4 individually but I will do 15 of the smaller size for $10 and 15 of the 1000g-1500g for $15.  I also carry two more sizes of baskets that are a little more heavy duty and made for commercial creamery use. also VERY affordable. What will you be making with them?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Yoav, I was actually looking for a 6" diameter by 8" high mold with follower. Basically a Tomme mould that is pushed up so that I can make a taller 4 gallon cheese.

I like the idea of 4"-5" basket moulds suitable for small Tomme cheeses. I have four small Reblochon moulds now, but would like the basket imprint. Any luck there?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Missy Greene

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »
Hi Yoav,
 I want to make some tommes, I really like those nice patterns on the cheeses. Not sure of the sizes though.
 Thanks Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »
Missy, I will write to you personally. I have 4 or 5 different sizes of traditional basket tommes arriving in the next shipment which should be here next week. from 300g all the way to 3200g

Boofer - I  thought you had my email so I was expecting to hear of any requests... sorry, I have been very lame on the board in the past month. I will have more attention to it in the coming weeks again.
Yes, I have those. Actually sold a few to member Pavel in Russia. I have them in different material strengths and different hole patterns so let's get you the right thing. The ones I sold to Pavel were exactly that size but they were heavy duty, made in Spain and good enough for pneumatic press in daily creamery use. If this is just for the occasional tomme and you want to use little pressure than perhaps I need to look for something else for you. The cheaperst (and I think nicest) possibility is Italian made basket moulds which are very traditional for Italian and Corsican cheeses. They leave this beautiful pattern on the cheese that looks like wicker/straw basket and encourages mold growth a bit too.