Author Topic: Need help finding the right starter cultures  (Read 1582 times)

victoras_h

Need help finding the right starter cultures
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
Hello everyone!

First I would like to say sorry if this thread shouldn't be posted here! I tried to think of a suitable place for it.

I live in Romania, and we don't have here any cheese supply shops. At least none that I know of. I checked all the shops from the surrounding countries, from the link on this site but I don't seem to have any luck. The closest one, in Hungary, doesn't have a shop section. The one in Spain doesn't have the cultures which I need. I tried to contact the one from Germany, but no answer yet. The one from Austria has only some generic cultures for semi-hard/hard cheeses which I don't think that will be suitable.

I am searching for Thermophilic and Proprionic cultures for an Emmenthaler recipe. This will not be my first try, I had success with simple mozzarella (only rennet).

Can anyone help me by suggesting an online shop where I could buy supplies and have them shipped to Romania? I know there are lots in the US, but shipping overseas would be complicated and expensive.
Any help will be greatly appreciated and I will keep updating a blog of some sort when I start working on the cheese!

Alex

Re: Need help finding the right starter cultures
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »
Welcome victoras_h,

It happened that I was born in Roumania, Transylvania in the beautyfull city Cluj/Napoca.
As for your question, you may use yogurt as a thermo culture. I do that a lot with greate success. The PS won't be significant for a small batch like 10 l of milk. So you can try making an Ementhaler without the big eyes.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  I hope you are able to find what you need.  I do believe we have a few members in Europe, just now sure where.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »
Bucharest, sect 1
Danisco Romania SRL
Union Business Center Building
11 Ion Campineanu Str., Floor 4, Room 422
RO-010031 Bucharest, sect 1
ROMANIA

Phone: +40 21 200 67 66
Email: Contact us
Local Time: 18:22 Oct 18

My grandmother is from Iasi (yash)  and my dad is from Piatra Neamț.

victoras_h

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
Thank you for the answers. I will give a call tomorrow to the company from Bucharest. It would be really great if I could find everything locally.

Thanks again, and I will keep you updated.