Author Topic: Chevrotin Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 11745 times)

iratherfly

Re: Chevrotin Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
I think it's just a taller form factor so it doesn't age like a Reblochon or Camembert. The rind doesn't effect the paste so much.  Another factor could be the addition of naturally-stabilizing culture such as TA.

Missy Greene

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
Hi Yoav,
  I usually milk through a few goats and then  hope for kidding in  March which means milk in April. I usually don't take milk away from the kids until they are eating some grain and hay,UNLESS, the mom is  just such a huge producer  that she can barely walk.! I will send a picture of the herd ...I have a little buckling that was born in July, he is trying very hard to do the job......
  More later.... thanks again  all of you for the chevrotin ideas.......
Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 12:26:28 AM »
Would love to see it! Can you post it here? (easier than sending it in a private message)

So no milk until April? Did I understand correctly?  How long is it before the kids can eat grass or grain?

Lots of suckling kid meat on sale in the market these days. It's sad that there is nothign to do with the boys.   Are you familiar with "No Goat Left Behind"?

http://www.heritagefoodsusa.com/ventures/goat.html

Missy Greene

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:30 AM »
Hi Iratherfly,
  Big storm coming tomorrow, the goats are huddled in with loads of spruce boughs... the milk now has a slight spruce scent... a little Maine terroir!
  will try to send a pic soon..just bought a small wine cooler...hope it works out, getting excited to try some  different stuff.  I do have milk now, I milk  some goats through, that means I don't breed them, just keep milking..I have a Saanen that I got this summer who has been milked through already 1 year and she still gives about 3/4 gallon. Just bought myself some Humbolt Fog today to enjoy as a pre Tday treat...with salad from the hoop house and a nice glass of  wine.....can't wait to make tht one.
  Love reading your posts... you are an inspiration.
 Happy  Thanksgiving.
 Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. Hope you had a great thanksgiging too.

Oh boy,spruce branches. So much to do with them!!!  You can age cheese on them. Make some amazing stuff. You should try to get some strips of bark and either age cheese on it or steam it until it is soft and then staple is at a 4"-5" hoop. Make your own Maine take on Vacherin using goat's milk right in it... oh, that would be so amazing!  Ah, you see? Now you've inspired me!!!

Doesn't it make sense to breed some of the goats now and others later so that you always have at least some milk?  This is a question from a guy who has no idea about owning dairy animals so please forgive me...

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »
Hi Yoav,

I found this thread while researching Chevrotin, and found your question about breeding goats at different times to keep milk supply going...

*Most* breeds of goats are seasonally polyestrus, short day breeders... so generally breed October through March, with appx. 153 day gestation. So there is a 6 month window for breeding, give or take months or weeks depending on where you're located etc.

Some dairies use artificial insemination, some will keep bucks on the farm, some will bring in a buck/bucks to breed their does, etc., so there are various reasons for either breeding them all at same time, or being able to selectively breed particular does at different times. Also, some might breed at a time the does will be at maximum production for show season, as well.

The LaMancha dairy goat is known for extended lactation without having to be re-bred. Some have gone 4 years producing usable milk quantities without stopping.  I'm building my herd of LaManchas and will select for does that show extended lactation traits :-)

~Laurie

Doesn't it make sense to breed some of the goats now and others later so that you always have at least some milk?  This is a question from a guy who has no idea about owning dairy animals so please forgive me...
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

iratherfly

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 02:07:31 AM »
Nice! That's super informative, thanks!

What I meant of course is, do they do separate cycles within a single herd? Meaning, you let 50% of your does get impregnated in a specific month and let the other 50% 3-4 months later so that you have 50% supply for a 5 months instead of having zero supply for 3 months (example numbers, I am sure I am not perfectly accurate). I didn't know that about the LaMancha goats!

Tomer1

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »
  get some strips of bark and either age cheese on it or steam it until it is soft and then staple is at a 4"-5" hoop. Make your own Maine take on Vacherin 

I had some rustic cheese from romania made this way, the idea is wonderful but the cheese wasnt. 
I believe its raw sheep's milk, For some reason they attemp to age fresh style cheeses for very long.
Their grainy,sour and fairly untasty.   I believe most if not all of them are lactic left to ferment and coagulate "naturally" and then drained.
They also really like smoking cheeses as preservation ,which I hate.

Is there any book one can recommend about the basics of rising dairy animals?
I feel like its a good thing to know.

iratherfly

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
Yes, eastern European cheeses aren't that amazing... Only one PDO cheese from the east, I forgot its name, it's from Poland. 

For books, try PM'ing some of the many herd owners on this board. Missy?  SteffB?