Author Topic: Milk, Raw - Using In Making Cheese  (Read 3960 times)

Lanman

Milk, Raw - Using In Making Cheese
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
I have just recently started making cheese and i have a few quick questions about working with raw milk.
All the recipes i have looked through have started with store bought pasteurized milk. For my cheese making i
will only have access to farm fresh raw milk.

Is there anything i should be doing differently or any extra steps i should take with this?

I am lucky enough to have a friend who raises goats and a wife with a coworker that has access to a family dairy farm.
In both cases the milk is pretty much straight from the animal and to my kitchen. should i be separating cream,
make an attempt to Pasteurize it or anything of the like

boothrf

Re: Milk, Raw - Using In Making Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
Hi Lanman,

I am also lucky enought to have raw milk to work with. I just pasteurise it by heating to 68C and holding for 1 minute, before cooling down to the appropriate make temperature.  To ensure I have the correct ratio of cream to milk, just make sure the milk is stirred well before collecting it from the farm vat, and the same when I measure it for the make. Unless of course you want an extra creamy milk, then collect it from the top of an unstirred vat after the cream has risen!

Enjoy, Bob

Jaspar

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
Allot of the recipes call for calcum chloride. It can be mostly or completely omitted when using raw milk.
Also if you are making hard cheeses you don't have to pasteurize it as long as its going to be properly aged for more than 60 days.   
                         Jaspar

boothrf

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:23:38 AM »
Good point re the CaCl Jasper.

I'm not so sure about using unpasteurised milk though. Before using it I would make a thorough inspection of the dairy and their hygiene practices. Some smaller dairies leave a lot to be desired in this area and I would want to be VERTY sure my milk was as clean a possible before using it unpasteurised. I would  recommend pasteurising always, unless you are a very experienced cheesemaker and know how to manage and control the hygiens risks in your own cheesemaking operation.

Bob

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
I have only ever made cheese from fresh raw milk from friends and neighbors. I have inspected their operations and practices. I have never pasteurized any milk for cheeses, even fresh ones.
It's depends on what your comfort level is after seeing each operation.

boothrf

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:39 AM »
Yes, that's right Pam. If you know what you are doing and trust your own processing conditions then its fine to take that risk. I just think it is important for new cheesemakers to be wary. There are enough risk areas in the cheesmaking operation without adding more by using potentially dirty milk. Also, my expereince working in the food processing industry makes me well aware of the risks! I might be a bit risk averse as a result, ha ha. ;)

Lanman

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:20 AM »
Thank you all for the quick replies. I'll definitely make sure to pasteurize the milk before use. the dairy farm is inspected though i haven't been there recently. the goats milk comes from a friends farm recently purchased i have yet to visit as its a bit of a drive quite a bit out of the way but they come through town often enough to bring me a decent supply

Cloversmilker

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »
I make cheese with raw milk from my own cow. When I first started out making cheese about 5 years ago, I pasteurized milk for many of my cheeses.  The pasteurized milk cheese was definitely inferior in flavor to the raw milk cheese I made during that time.  Additionally pasteurizing and then cooling the milk for cheese required a substantial amount of extra effort.  If you aren't comfortable with the raw milk available to you, by all means pasteurize.  It does affect the resulting cheese though. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
You might also want to note that some cheeses require a lower fat content than others and skimming may be necessary. A good example would be provalone cheese.

judyp

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
I wouldn't pasteurize the milk.  I have a few dairy goats and make all my cheese with unpasteurized, fresh milk.  Some of the cheese is aged over 60 days and some not.  The soft cheese are excellent and lots of people love them!   As long as the people doing the milking have clean collecting procedures, throw away the first squirts, clean goat/cow before milking, cool the milk quickly, use pans, jars, etc. that have been cleaned in the dishwasher and the goats look healthy and happy, then you are fine.  If the family is using the milk for their family raw, then you're probably pretty safe. 

As someone else pointed out you don't need Calcium Chloride when using fresh milk.  I also found that after adding the rennet it is ready to cut the curd sooner than the recipe calls.   Anyway, you can google the benefits of raw milk vs. pasteurizing, but concerning cheese making and raw milk, those are the only differences I've noticed.   I know this is a very controversial subject....all things to consider in making your decision.  Don't let fear be your determining factor. 

Priestman

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
judyp is onto a good point.  The amount of rennet typically called for in most recipes is too much. I've played around with 50-75% of what's called for with some success.  Also, have enjoyed some success with uncultured cheeses (I have raw sheep's milk).  The goat and cow may give you some good results as well.  Best wishes,  Paul

hoeklijn

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
Here in the Netherlands raw milk is used for artisan cheese on the cheese farms. The only thing is that obstetricians are always warning pregnant women not to eat cheese made from raw milk or drink raw milk. In my experience cheese from raw milk is indeed superior in flavor. 

dthelmers

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
Here in Connecticut, USA, I can get raw milk for $7.50 a gallon. Best milk I've ever worked with. A joy to use: the curd is so firm and workable, and the cheese has such a full flavor. If you're worried about unwanted bacteria, try making cheeses that age more than 60 days. Your mileage may vary, but the Jersey milk I get from a local farm makes the very best cheese I've ever eaten. the non-starter lactic acid bacteria that are present in the raw milk and destroyed through pasteurization give a breadth and complexity of flavor that just can't be beat. Raw milk rocks!

ilvalleygal

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
I make cheeses from raw Guernsey and goat milk. The fat content is different and so are the yields. I'm still new so I stick to recipes specifically for goat milk when I have it. I never boil the milk so I always skip the CaCl.

FoxDog Farm

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
I've only ever used raw milk to make cheese.  When I finally had to use store-bought (was teaching a class and didn't have enough raw) pasteurized, homogenized, I was shocked at the difference.  Not just in the way the cheese was made, the quality of the curds, etc, but even the whey was different.  It was like water, versus the deep yellow-green of the raw milk whey after making ricotta. 

Anyway, in about 7 or 8 years of only using raw, I've never been sick, never made anyone sick, etc.  I milk my own little goats, however, and am very cautious about cleanliness.  I would recommend inspecting the facilities at which you obtain your milk.

My goats put out such a high fat milk that I almost always hand skim a bit of the fat off and make butter or sour cream.  Although it's hard to get goat cream to separate from milk, compared to cow cream, it is possible.  Since my little goats don't produce enough to make a good sized cheese with each days' milk I freeze my milk after milking.  The freezing and then thawing seems to help separate some of the cream.  The milk is quite good for making cheese even after freezing a short time (max about 8 weeks, but usually more like 7-10 days).

I concur, you need less rennet with raw milk and you only need a very small amount of starter.  I do use starter to give specific tastes to my cheeses.  Usually I cut the amount of starter in half, and then experiment with that.  You don't have to use starter though, you can just go with whatever your local area puts into the milk.