Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curd Formation, Limburger Becomes?  (Read 1698 times)

mbox

Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curd Formation, Limburger Becomes?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:05:45 AM »
Having received a new calf rennet i decided to make limburger as per 200 recipes....first the rennet proofed to be "dead" so i added a veggie rennet which i still have in tablets. It coagulated somewhat but never got a clean break after 2+ hours. PH from beginning until now was 6.6 -6.4 . I went on and drained it in colander and had a wait for an hour but the curds are still liquid alike....so the tomme forms where i put the liquid curds had to be lined with cheesecloth ( tried before without which let the curd just go through the small holes).

Not happy today :( actually pretty frustrating :-[. The harder i try the more things go "south" ....i think maybe i shall get some dry calf rennet? the veggie rennet lets my curds just be too soft .
need to have a word with the supplier of that calf rennet i just got 2 days ago from OZ.

wonder what kind of limburger this will be ....maybe a limburger cream cheese/ricotta.

mbox

boothrf

Re: Coagulation, Rennet - Poor Curd Formation, Limburger Becomes?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
mbox,

There are a lot of things that can go wrong, so it may not be the rennet. Liquid Rennet normally has a 12 month shelf life, and shoud remain viable for that time.  Suggest you write your recipe on the post, with all the details of quantities and milk types and there are plenty of experts who will review and give you advice.

mbox

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
mbox,

There are a lot of things that can go wrong, so it may not be the rennet. Liquid Rennet normally has a 12 month shelf life, and shoud remain viable for that time.  Suggest you write your recipe on the post, with all the details of quantities and milk types and there are plenty of experts who will review and give you advice.
hi bob,

well i did exactly the 200 recipe with milk from "dutch mill" ...i am in thailand if that makes it any different...the water used for mixing with the rennet had no chlorine whatsoever ( i was within temperature limits too) ....so i am guessing the rennet's fault for this...specially the fact that i had a  "somewhat weak(but significant"harder" coagulation on the veggie rennet. The "somewhat weak" coagulation is a normal thing i been told.

mbox

mbox

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 02:49:53 AM »
well, i left my too soft "limburger" curds in the cheesecloth lined Mold overnight . The next morning i checked and although still a bot soft  ( kinda "ricotta soft") but better firmed up i decided that i try to see what it comes to be. So i transferred these curds into camembert hoops which sat on cheese mat. It gave 4 hoops. I let that stand for 1 day ( had to remove whey every couple of hours) and the next day i was able to get them from the hoops and salted them both sides. They went into the Cave yesterday and when i turned them i can see slight of the red-ish  mold developing and has a pleasent scent of it too....so here is hope that it comes still a nice and smelling cheese ...maybe not exactly a Limburger ,but hopefully not too far from it.

mbox