Author Topic: Jeff's Experimental Lactic PC cheese  (Read 19289 times)

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Jeff's Experimental Lactic PC cheese
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 03:11:27 AM »
Thumbs up to you Jeff, how about also adding some B. Linens into this equation

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 04:31:49 AM »
Hi Gürkan,

That might be good too.  Next time I make this I'll make two cheeses rather than one tall one, which I suspect will not quite ripen fully.  Of course, that may end up being a nice result too, so I'm certainly going to keep an open mind on tihs.  I'm not at all familiar with semi-lactic cheese making, and this one is sort of by the seat of my pants, but it does seem to be going ok so far.  Here's its current state of mould developement.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
Oooh, fuzzy!  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
Yes, it's fuzzying up quite nicely.  Not as much cover on the top and bottom as the sides though, but some is starting to spread.  Once I have full coverage, I'll wrap it and put it in the regular fridge to slow the ripening process.  It's quite large, so if it ripens quickly it will just melt into a heap.

I quite like how this cheese is progressing.  Also, almost everything came from a grocery store.  The culture was just ripened buttermilk, the milk was just store bought, and the mould culture came from a store bought Cam that was on special (and very tasty on a bagette!), and the mold I used to form the cheese was also from the grocery store (a tupperware type container that is a jar with a little basket in it; to store things like pickles or fruit in syrup).  The only thing that wasn't actually purchased from a grocery store was the drop of rennet, but since you can pick up rennet at the grocery store too, the whole thing can be made by anyone without any special equipment at all. 

Of course, if it turns out shockingly horrible, perhaps the above isn't really enough to recommend it? :)

- Jeff

zenith1

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 01:06:14 AM »
Jeff-what nice fuzz you have!

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
I've wrapped this in paper and foil today.  It's now about 346g.  My parents are comming to visit in about 10 days, so I'll age it until their arrival and then we'll have the unveiling.  Could be interesting! :)

- Jeff

Mateo

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
i´m doing one experiment ,becoselinuxboy told me uht milk can coagulate by rennet ,i have to use lactic metod

i leave all night the milk with two doses of rennet and enough vinager to get curd or something

after a night , in the morning , is soft yogurt and i want to put hot temp again to put more vinager

we see what happend

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
So, how is your experiment comming along?  Did you get some curds?  If it didn't form a single big lump of curd, but just a thick yogurt, you could drain it through cheesecloth until it was the texture you wanted.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 04:44:44 AM »
This one, in the foil, is now 344g.  Will be opening it up tomorrow or the next day to sample.  Having a big family get together in two (my parents comming to visit so we're all getting together with my wife's family to have a big feed!) and it will be consumed then, but it may get sampled tomorrow.  You know, just to make sure it's ok and all! :)

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
I've got another batch going, this time with PC instead of PR.
I think ive nailed the right protocol this time, gone predrain for 2-4 hours before molding.

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
I suspect the pre-draining will help remove some of the moisture.  Let me know how it goes.  Are you useing cheesecloth?  Let me know how much curd loss you get from it sticking to the cloth. 

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
I use a fabric with a tigher weeve then disposable cloth.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
I suspect the pre-draining will help remove some of the moisture.  Let me know how it goes.  Are you useing cheesecloth?  Let me know how much curd loss you get from it sticking to the cloth. 

- Jeff
I think when I do something like this again, I'll use Plyban (plastic cheesecloth). The curds don't adhere to it. My Esrom #2 showed me that. Good stuff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 06:03:33 AM »
Who manufactures it? 

My latest batch is now draining, Im much happier with the firmness of the curds this time.
Drained at PH 4.66 and hung the bag to drain. The whey went stright to the bean soup im making :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
Who manufactures it? 
I don't know. Here's where I got mine.

It's probably available elsewhere.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!