Author Topic: Jeff's Experimental Lactic PC cheese  (Read 19294 times)

Tomer1

Re: Jeff's Experimental Lactic PC cheese
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
After 3 hours of pre-draining I got 630 grams of high moisture cheese from 2 liters of milk.
I didnt have any measurable amount of cheese stuck to the cloth so there was no lost there.

I salted it to 1.5% and molded it, it let it dry for 2-3 days before I move it to the cave.

anutcanfly

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »
Darn!  Thats much cheaper than mine!  I got some thru Hoeggers.  Didn't realized that disposable cheesecloth was the same as plyban.  Just used it for the first time yesterday and I have to say it really works great! I used to have to struggle to get the cheese to drop free of the mold in the morning.  Came right out... doesn't stick to anything!

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
Sounds like good stuff.

I've unwrapped this one.  It now weights 338g.  We'll be tasting it today.  Now that it's warming up I can feel it softening up under the surface.  High hopes for this one.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Are you using a spacial bloomy wrap or just tin foil?

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Hi Tomer1,

I just used some baking paper and tinfoil.  The baking paper got a bit damp, so it probably should have been changed a few times early on.  Still, it mostly came off in one piece.  :)

Here's a better photo.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
Hi,

And the verdict is in, and it is good!  I cut into this today at the family get together, and it was, as I hoped, quite runny around the sides but still a nice velvety soft cheese inside.  The runny bits get mopped up in bread, and the rind was very edible, and the interior paste was smooth and very nice.  It was nicely ripened, with a very earthy/mushroomy flavour, but it had not amoniated.  It had peaked.  I'm sure if I put it in my regular fridge to slow down the ripening it wouldn't have run, but I was hoping it would just for the dramatic effect.  Anyway, this is such an easy, and quick, cheese to make that I might do a few up for Christmas presents.  Nice.

- Jeff

P.S. I told everyone it's Chaource, as "Jeff's Experimental SemiLactic Cheese" wouldn't fit on the strip of paper! :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »
P.S. I told everyone it's Chaource, as "Jeff's Experimental SemiLactic Cheese" wouldn't fit on the strip of paper! :)
Works for me!  :)  Looks great. Kudos.

I lost track...how long from make to cut?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 04:59:49 AM »
Thanks Boofer.  It was 4 weeks from make to cut.  Seems like a really good level of aging, for me at least.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
Yeah, four weeks seemed like a feasible schedule.

Then I'll retry my adjusted Tilsit recipe.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
Beautiful Tomer1!

No slipskin on your at all.  How long did you age it?  Did you shift it into a regular fridge at some point to slow the ripening?  And, are those walnuts I see in there? 

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
Visually its great, very slight melting under the skin at the "corners".
They are walnuts.

I have absulutly no idea what went wrong with this one. 
Despite not leaving the closed ripening box it picked up an off smell from the cave, I left my humidity towel for too long without change and it turned into "wet socks".

It had this musky,damp smell which was stuck despite airating the fridge (and getting rid of the smell).
I left it for 4-5 hours at room temp before eating.

It too had a bitterness to it despite keeping my cave at around 12c and not apearent growth of geo (which I thought is the explaination to my last cam being bitter,it got over run by geo).

Culture was probat 222 , a mixed messo type simmiler to FD.

Ive got two more PC lactics which I unmolded today and put into the ripening box.  I used some lemon pill in one just because I had this lemon in the kitchen looking at me funny  >:D   

I really want to solve this bitterness issue.  :-\

JeffHamm

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
Oh yes, I see now in the far corner.  Still, hardly a thing compared to my flood. 

Not sure what could be causing you the bitterness.  I made the cheese in this thread using ripened buttermilk (1 ice cube worth) as the starter in 2 L of store bought pasturised milk (creamline).  It's a high fat milk as well (4 or 4.5% I think).  I only used 1 drop of 750 IMCU strength rennet (microbial), added after about 6 or 8 hours ripening time.

My ambient temperature when draining is about 20 C, and my cave is kept around 10 C.

For the blue version, I used creme freche as the starter (1 or 2 tbls, which I put in warm milk for about 30 minutes to an hour to get it going). 

Aged both around 4 weeks from make day to eating.

Don't know if there's anything in those details that might help.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
I'm very suspicious that the wet sock smell and the bitterness are linked.  I've noticed several cheese of mine that were moist, and developed that smell, also became bitter.   :(  If I catch it quick I rub it down with an acidic salt wash, it's fine...mostly.  I think I need to change the way I store cheeses in my fridge.

Tomer1

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
Maybe the smell caught on while I was drining it in the fridge (The ripening box was left open) because the blue lactic which was sealed didnt exhibit that aweful stuff.