Author Topic: Cream Separator for Goat Milk  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Rechellef

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Cream Separator for Goat Milk
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
I am a beginner cheesemaker (about 3 months young), but it has been a fantastic adventure with its successes and failures.  Anyway, I do want to be able to separate the cream from my doe's milk for butter.  Is there a good, but not too expensive, recommendation for a cream separator for goat's milk?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Oberhasli

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
Re: Cream Separator for Goat Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
I used to do it a really cheap way.  I store my milk in 1/2 gallon jars and wait about two days and then skim the cream off the top and put it in a tupperware container and freeze it until I had collected enough to make butter.  I never had enough cream to spare to warrant buying those expensive separators.  I would defrost the cream when I had two cups or so and then put the cream in a smaller quart jar and sit on the front porch in my rocking chair and gently shake it until I had a nice lump of butter  :).  But, it is very hard to make cheese from goat milk that has had the cream removed, so I don't make butter any more and just make cheese.  Of course, if you have five or six gallons of milk everyday you could always buy a separator.  Nasco is a livestock company that sells a bunch of different ones or the goat companies like Hoegger's or Caprine Supply also carry them.

Good luck.

Bonnie
Better to train people and risk they leave,
than do nothing and risk they stay.     Anonymous