Author Topic: 2011 Crush  (Read 14692 times)

wharris

2011 Crush
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
I swear, I will start making cheese again this year.  Lotta changes in my home.
This is the start of my new cheese room. (no dungeon this time.)

I would be furiously building out my new cheese/wine room, but the 2011 grape crush got in the way. 
Here is a short video from this weekend's activities.

BTW, thanks to all that helped me out with this new crusher. It worked beautifully.

linuxboy

Re: 2011 Crush
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Alexander valley fruit again? Been a tough growing year, sugars were so low coming into October. New build looks great!

wharris

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
It was a tough year in California. Cool weather, and a rainy harvest.  There was a lot of rot. Many distributors could not, or would not deliver the required tonnages.  Frankly, I was a bit surprised to actually get all my fruit.

Sugar was indeed down a bit. (24.5) brix.  But to be honest, that is almost perfect for me. I'm a bit tired of getting over-sugared grapes.  I end up either making rocket fuel, or watering it back.

This year, I don't have to adjust the sugar. 

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »
We are feeling the weather challenges here in the Ukiah valley. I think just about everyone is done with harvest and can breathe easier. Lower tonnage and lower rates due to lower sugar makes for harder times. But, at least no smoke damage.  And I agree with you, less sugar makes for more subtle wines, more old world in their approach. Hard to push the yeast that high to ~15, always have to watch the osmotic pressure and adjust.

Awesome :)

wharris

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
3/4 done with the ferment.

Good color this year.  Deep Ruby like i like.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
That's pretty! Gonna be a great batch Wayne!

shotski

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
Nice deep colour  Wayne. How long    did you let it ferment on the skins or do you go by the brix readings? if so what was the start and rack readings?

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
I often go with high extraction style and get premium fruit. (pay about 2$\kg for cab sauv)
I find that fermenting to dryness (-2 brix)  before light pressing is plenty of skin contact. (about 6-9 days, depending on vigor of the yeast strain but with BDX is usually a bit longer)  Im not a believer in 2-3 weeks extended maceration.
I also do a heavy press and seperate that to blend with less expenssive fruit for a table wine which I fine for an early drinking wine (bottle within 12 months).

wharris

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Nice deep colour  Wayne. How long    did you let it ferment on the skins or do you go by the brix readings? if so what was the start and rack readings?
I did a cold soak initially. Then fermented to dryness.

wharris

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
I often go with high extraction style and get premium fruit. (pay about 2$\kg for cab sauv)
I find that fermenting to dryness (-2 brix)  before light pressing is plenty of skin contact. (about 6-9 days, depending on vigor of the yeast strain but with BDX is usually a bit longer)  Im not a believer in 2-3 weeks extended maceration.
I also do a heavy press and seperate that to blend with less expenssive fruit for a table wine which I fine for an early drinking wine (bottle within 12 months).
I did a medium press.  Cab Sauv from Alexander Valley, CA.

Medium quality grapes.  Very very fruity this year. Almost too fruity for me.  Hoping that with the addition of oak, I get some balance.

shotski

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
cold soak ???????

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
Its when you let the crushed grapes macerate under cold temp (below 10c, optimally below 4c), cool enough to retard fermentation by a day or two and then you allow the must to warm and pitch the yeast (or not if your going wild).  I'l leave it to wayne to extend on that if he wants to :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:29:15 AM by Tomer1 »

shotski

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
What does soaking do for the process? I thought it was the yeast eating the sugars in the skins that released the colour.

wharris

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »
Tomer1 was correct. It is also sometimes referred to as Cold Maceration.
Last year wanted to squeeze as much essance out of my grapes as I possibly could.  (did not crush in 2012)

So I did a 3 day cold soak where I kept the crushed grapes at 40 deg F to let the skins steep.
In addition, i used an enzyme to dig into the skins to extract even more color and flavors.

In fact i have a slightly overly fruity wine that i hope to balance with something really earthy this summer.

Tomer1

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:35:01 AM »
Maybe some medium+ french oak can add a bit of spice.   
I myself did not crush aswell at 2012. just did a bit of white.