Author Topic: Shattered curds? Don't throw it out!  (Read 2269 times)

MrsKK

Shattered curds? Don't throw it out!
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
Yesterday I had a fridge full of milk, so decided to make some gouda.  I realized that the oldest gallon of milk was 9 days old (somehow that one got missed in the rotation of stock!) but decided to use it anyway.

The curds seemed to set up into a fair clean break and held together well when I cut them.  However, when it came time to stir the curd, it mostly fell apart.  Gentle as I could be, it still looked like curdled milk more than curds and whey.

I decided to go ahead anyway and continue to try to make cheese.  It was touchy ladling off whey without disturbing the curds because they were so light, but I finally got it all done.  Two hot washings of the curd and it was still very light and almost fluffy, so I decided to take a break for supper and the curd rested in the bottom of the kettle under whey at about 98* F for nearly an hour.

I drained off the whey as best I could without disturbing the curd too much, then heavily salted the curd.  Not a typical Gouda step, but I knew this wasn't going to be "real" Gouda anymore anyway and I wanted to stop any further acidification.  In tasting the curd for salt, I realized that I had made a really huge batch of really good dry curd cottage cheese, so I scooped out a pint for later eating.

I put the rest in my cheese-cloth lined mold and pressed it at 40 lbs for 20 minutes.  I flipped the wheel, redressed it and put 80 lbs on it for overnight.  I still need to remove it from the press this morning.

At the first pressing, it was starting to knit fairly well on the bottom, so I have hope that this will turn into an edible cheese.  I plan on ripening it in a covered container in the cave at 52* F for about two weeks, then will crack into it, as I don't think it will be a good "keeper".

anutcanfly

Re: Shattered curds? Don't throw it out!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
Nice save.  Cooking lends many ways to use failed cheeses as well.   :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
Nice save.  Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »
The curd knit very well after being under 80 lbs overnight.  I've got it drying in the cabinet now.  I'll cut into it in two weeks and let you know how it turned out.

I've drained off shattered curds before, to use as a low-fat cream cheese type product, but I've got a lot of that in the freezer right now, so didn't need anymore.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »
 :) Me too... still trying to use up cambozolas that failed to set curd.  Awesome sour cream before freezing!  Great for bisques after freezing.  :P  Hope your newly pressed cheese comes out tasty!