Author Topic: A couple more P roqueforti questions  (Read 1095 times)

Fantastical

A couple more P roqueforti questions
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:44 AM »
I just made my first blue cheese and it is going great so far! It is sitting in the mold right now. While I was making it I thought of a couple questions...

1. How do you store liquid P roqueforti? I received a good 25ml of the stuff and it expires in a couple weeks! It says store at -18 celcius. Will it keep at this temperature?

2. Can you use the whey after even though it has the cultures in it or will it turn the whey moldy?

Thanks!

JeffHamm

Re: A couple more P roqueforti questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:26 AM »
Hi Fantastical,

-18 C would be in the freezer.  I would think that would turn it solid ice, so you'll need to thaw it out to use it.  Not sure what a repeated freeze/thaw sequence would do to it?  I'm sure you'll get some expert advice though.

As for the whey, you could make ice cubes and then use them as starter (2 OR 3 standard sized ice cubes, aroudn 25 ml each, for a 10 L make probably would do it).  The would contain your blue mold in it, so you would have to use them for blues only, but it should work ok.

- Jeff

mtncheesemaker

Re: A couple more P roqueforti questions
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
I have a little bottle of P. roqueforti in the fridge and I can't even remember where I bought it. It has to be at least 3 years old and still going strong. I just looked at it to see if there is an expiration date, and there isn't. I would just keep yours in the fridge and not worry too much about it.
Pam