Author Topic: Calf Rennet Strength  (Read 8390 times)

JeffHamm

Calf Rennet Strength
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »
Hi,

I just bought some calf rennet, and it says on the bottle 3 ml for a 10 L make.  But, it doesn't say what the IMCU strength is!  I've done some calculations and have come up with 175.  Does that make sense? I have written to the store that sells it to see if they have a value for it, but in case they don't I thought I would ask.  If they do, I'll post what it is officially. 

- Jeff

linuxboy

Re: Calf Rennet Strength
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »
Yep, about right.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »
Thanks linuxboy!  To the rescue again.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »
Hi,

Just heard back from the store, and they told me the IMCU of the calf rennet is 280!  Always best to ask.  The 3ml/10 L must not be based upon floc times.

Basically, having worked out the proper dosage with my microbial rennet (IMCU 750) to get a floc in the 10-15 min range, I want to translate that dosage to the new calf rennet.  I currently use 0.6 ml for good sets, at 280 that turns into a suggesting starting point of 1.61 ml but at 175 it would have been 2.57 ml.  I realise that the calf rennet may work a bit differently with my milk, and I'll probably have to tweak the dosage a few times, but I want to start somewhere that is at least theoretically sound.

Will see how that works for me. :)

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Hi,

Well, I'm pleased.  I'm making montasio today using the calf rennet.  After getting the IMCU value of my calf rennet (280), and knowning that my 750 IMCU strength rennet uses 0.6 ml to get me in the 10-15 min floc zone, did a simple calculation (0.6 * 750/280) to convert this to 1.6 ml.  I used that, and my floc time was 12:30!  Had I used the recommended amount of 3ml/10L, that would have floc'd way too quick.

- Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
Wonder why they recommended 3 ml. It's industry standard to use 9 ml/ctw milk of ~200 IMCU.

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
The cynic in me says it's just a way to double your sales.  But it could be that most home cheese makers don't know about floc times, etc, and so by using the extra rennet it ensures a clean break by the recipe time?  I know the microbial 750 stuff says use 0.7 mls, but that flocs well under 10 minutes.  Floc'ing is how I settled in on 0.6 ml for my make.

- Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
extra rennet it ensures a clean break by the recipe time?
Ah, the ole... if a little bit is great, more must be even better. Too bad because excess rennet in many cheeses can make for the difference between success and failure during aging. Glad you're doing it right :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:35:02 AM »
Yah.  I don't think it's the guy selling it, but the manufacturer who does the labels.  I may contact him to let him know though.  Anyway, without this forum I would be following the label and book times.  If I'm doing anything right it is thanks to everyone here.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »
In general calf rennet is 1/3 to 1/2 the strength of microbial.  I think it's where the "double strength" rennet term came from in the US.  I don't use the stuff any more anyway.  Market demands are for ripened and fresh cheeses, so no need for the calf version.

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
Just a quick update.  I think it's a label misprint, because on the website he indicates use approx 1 ml/10 L for the calf rennet and 3ml/10 L for the vegetarian rennet.  The label on my calf rennet bottle appears to have the wrong dosage printed (but I've corrected that for myself at least).

- Jeff

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »
Francois. do you get a lower yield with microbial rennet. I have switched over, but have found that I get about a 10% lower yield. In other words, instead of getting a 12% yield, I get around 10.8%. Of course that depends on the cheese.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
Sailor,
Normally no.  But be aware that microbial rennets come in temperature "windows".  You may be using one that is designed to be ineffective at certain temps.  I have started using Marzyme powder...it's good stuff.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:38 AM »
In general calf rennet is 1/3 to 1/2 the strength of microbial.  I think it's where the "double strength" rennet term came from in the US.  I don't use the stuff any more anyway.  Market demands are for ripened and fresh cheeses, so no need for the calf version.

Hi all.

This is an old thread but thought I would give it a go...

I am interested if anyone can comment on the above quote - the bit about market demand and calf rennet.

In Australia, especially in the goat cheese market segement calf rennet is shied away from because of the veg issues.  And even chymax is questioned because of the GMO connection.

Thanks.

NVD.

Shazah

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »
Well, I'm pleased.  I'm making montasio today using the calf rennet.  After getting the IMCU value of my calf rennet (280), and knowning that my 750 IMCU strength rennet uses 0.6 ml to get me in the 10-15 min floc zone, did a simple calculation (0.6 * 750/280) to convert this to 1.6 ml.  I used that, and my floc time was 12:30!  Had I used the recommended amount of 3ml/10L, that would have floc'd way too quick.

The cynic in me says it's just a way to double your sales.  But it could be that most home cheese makers don't know about floc times, etc, and so by using the extra rennet it ensures a clean break by the recipe time?  I know the microbial 750 stuff says use 0.7 mls, but that flocs well under 10 minutes.  Floc'ing is how I settled in on 0.6 ml for my make.

Hi Jeff
I was looking at this old thread and wondered if you would mind clearing up some confusion for me.
I have just purchased some Calf Rennet, 280 double strength and the bottle says 10mls for a 10ltr make.  I'm thinking that I may have the same rennet you refer to above but what I'm not sure about is, did you end up using 1.6mls or .6mls?
I'm just being a little cautious as I'm wanting to make a couple of Parmesans and don't want to wait a year or so to find out that the flavour has been affected because I used too much/too little rennet at the outset.

When I first started making cheese I didn't know what type of rennet I was using, but always produced good Cams and the flavour was lovely.  In recent times I purchased some vegetarian rennet and have not had the same flavour and the rinds are a little chalky??  That's why I've opted to try the calf rennet in the hope I can  get back to the flavours I like as I'm doing everything else the same.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers
Sharon