Author Topic: Lactic blue cheeses,does such a thing exist?  (Read 12364 times)

Tomer1

Lactic blue cheeses,does such a thing exist?
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
Seems like it could be really intersting , something like Sainte Maure without the PC where the straw helps with a tiny bit of veining and the cheese is eaten at 3-4 weeks.
The high moisture content should give it some good mouthfeel,perhaps with some added cream.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:06:00 PM by Tomer1 »

linuxboy

Re: Lactic blue cheeses,does such a thing exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
Yes, I make them all the time in 150 gram wheels. They are delicious. Hard to get opening to work well, so I make sure the curd is dry, and poke lots of holes.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »
I accidentally made one (well Ok it was a mostly lactic cheese, just a little bit of rennet)!

Bluing on outside (OK lots of people have that commonly unwanted problem) but due to slumping cheese had fissure inside which also accidentally blued inside.

Was probably the best tasting cheese I ever made!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:16:22 AM »
There is this product I've seen to open holes inside the cheese. Would this be used in combozola or lactic blues.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:14:37 AM »
Interesting , S.C is usually feared from for producing yeasty\breadish aromas in cheese.

What kind of matabolism is involved with this isolate? do you need to use a bit of sucrose in the milk?

FoxDog Farm

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
Depending upon conditions, my raw milk chevres, made with very little rennet, turn into blue naturally.  Usually this happens if I leave the curd too long and it gets tougher, so when it's drained there are little cracks and crevices in the cheese. 

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Tomer, lactic blue is easy. The secret is using the right yeast, pre-draining the curd to get it dry enough and wrapping in foil or Expaco at the right time.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
I used to use saccromyces yeast but even though it isn't meant to affect the flavour I found it gave the cheese a yeasty beer/bread flavour.  Some people liked it.  The other 'problem' was that it created heaps of tiny holes from the gas which some people thought was an indication of e-coli.  Get your curd pH down and firm it up and you should be fine with out the yeast...

By the way, Bleu d'Avergne is a lactic blue.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
What pH do you suggest?

I love the small holes and bready yeasty flavor -in the right cheese. Which brand did you buy?

Tomer1

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
My lactic blue is growing its PR at about 60% coverage, It feels soft but not overly moist.  I did not predrain.
Its been about 10 days or so since make and I wonder where should I go at it?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:32:58 AM by Tomer1 »

iratherfly

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
This may end up like a Chaource with slight blue taste and possibly some geo bitterness (refrigerate ASAP in low temp if you haven't done so yet). You shouldn't put PC in lactic blue because it out-competes the blue.  If you want PC development you may want to consider spraying it on the rind well into aging, after external and internal blue have taken over. (at least 10-14 days of no geo or PC).  Lack of yeast and pre-draining may give you moist acidic and dense curd which will not let blue develop properly inside.  The cheese will taste "blue-ish" but you may get little to no blue due to these reasons.  I would try agan. Starter culture, blue and yeast. No geo, pc, b.linen or any other surface mold. Pre-drain a lot and pack very loosely in the moulds.

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »
Oops, I got a typo  I meant PR.
The coverage is at about 80% as of today. I moved it to the main fridge at 4c to slow it down a bit.
Any advice?

Starter culture, blue and yeast
What type of yeast are we talking here?

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »
Interesting , S.C is usually feared from for producing yeasty\breadish aromas in cheese.

What kind of matabolism is involved with this isolate? do you need to use a bit of sucrose in the milk?

Hi Tomer, just saw your post, sorry. I don't know the inner workings of this product. It is some sort of yeast for sure but the web site does not tell much and I have never used it.

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:27 AM »
Gürkan, i am curious too. Do you have that Saccharomyces product? Can you read the label? What is the specie or subspecie? Saccharomyces is a very generic name for yeast. There could be many possibilities.

Tomer1

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
The only sub species I know of is bayanus,
There is a huge amount of different isolates though each with its unique charecter.