Author Topic: Saturday 5th Nov Camembert # 3  (Read 6045 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Saturday 5th Nov Camembert # 3
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »
Not to be undone by a cheese I’m thrice attempting to create camembert.  Today I’m also mixing it up a little.  The first two didn’t work.  First (GLA) was too wet and they just spread all over the place.  The second by Ricki Carroll were way too firm and didn’t ripen.   I think the issue with the second one was the amount of mould so today I’m going to be a bit more liberal.  Also, reduce the Flora Danica to half a dose and include a ½ dose of MO 030 to address the over acidification.
So Today I’m using Tim Smiths recipe and method, the changes are
1.   ½ and ½ MO 0030 and Flora Danica
2.   Liquid rennet
3.   5 to 1 mix of P.Candidum and G.Candidum
4.            1/4 tsp Calcium Chloride.
Camembert cheese seems to have more recipes than other cheeses.  So, this is Tim’s recipe to which I will add my adjustments. 

Comment please and welcome

8 litres whole milk
¼ tsp Calcium Chloride dissolved in ¼ cup de-chlorinated water
8 tablespoons of mother culture or ¼ teaspoon Mesophilic direct set culture.
(Variation 1/2 dose GLA Flora Danica and MO 030)
1/8 tsp Penicillium Candidum
(5:1 P.Candidum and G.Candidum – 1(for 8 litres) dose of P-‘Drop’ and an eyeball 1/5th of G.Candidum )
The reason for this is that the G. Candidum helps prevent skin slippage.  I am yet to confirm this effect on mine but 4 week and I’ll know.
¼ tsp liquid rennet or ¼ rennet tablet diluted in ¼ cup of distilled water.
Cheese salt.
(Variation going to brine in 18% solution for 6 hours then air drain/dry before placing in the maturation boxes)
8:30 Milk warming to target temperature
9:22 Added Calcium Chloride, ½ and ½ MO030 and Flora Danica, and 5 to 1 P.C and G.C
Heat the milk to 90oF (32oF), then add the starter culture and the white mold(both if using).
Let ripen for 90 minutes.

More @ 11 - ish plus photos (I Hope).
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

boothrf

Re: Saturday 5th Nov Camembert # 3
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
G'day Ozziecheese,

I'm making Cams again today also. I'm using the traditional recipe from carol Wilman's book Home Cheesemaking. It uses a meso starter culture, and I use liquid rennet.  You have asked me about brining before.....I can say that your brine time looks way too long. I brine mine in 25% brine for around 1 hour for a 250g cheese.

Critical to making cams, IMHO, is the amount of stirring after cutting and the length of time before moulding. too much stirring and the curd gets too dry (this can be adjusted by cutting a little larger), too little and the cheese will be too moist.

Draining time is also critical, and is best done at higher temps 25 - 30C), good now that summer is approaching. Some recvipes I have seen suggest draining for up to 48 hours. yuo need to get the PH down and the moisture out before maturing. If not, the cheese will be very soft (sounds like you have seen this before) and will ripen VERY quickly,  getting ammoniated and liquid under the rind.

Anyway, have to go now and add my starter, good luck! :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:48:56 AM »
Thanks for the brining time adjustment I might have had hard lump again.  16 minutes to rennet and today is also my first using liquid rennet and the floc method.  After reading more here I get the feeling that between 5 and 6 multiplier is a good start.  I'll go for X5 with a 1.5cm curd size with stirring 15 minutes and resting for 15 before draining.
Brissy is at approx 23-25 today and a bit humid so sounds about perfect for an over night draining and boxing tomorrow.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:17 AM »
I’m using the flocculation method to determine curd cutting time and @ 9-12minutes would be good and a 5 times multiplier.
I actually got a Floc time of 14 minutes therefore 5 times equals 1 hour from the rennet added time of 10:55 and curd cutting will be @ 11:55

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:37:56 AM »
Hi OzzieCheese,

14 min floc is good, that's in the "sweet spot" of 10-15 minutes.  A smidge more rennet will put you closer to the shorter end.  Keep good notes on how much rennet you added and your floc time, and you'll get really good consistent makes once you've got it dialed in.  There will be some fluxuation, due to changes in milk quality and such, but you'll get your floc times in the zone most every time after a couple makes.  It's also a good way to keep things consistent if you change rennets; once you dial in your new rennet to the same floc times then things should remain fairly consistent.

- Jeff

P.S. a Cheese for your floc success

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
Noticed my mistake before damage was done...
I actually got a Floc time of 14 minutes therefore 5 times equals 1 hour and 10 minutes from the rennet added time of 10:55 and curd cutting will be @ 12:05
12:05 Looked not quite a set as I would like but tested for a clean break and still not set so I will take it out to the 5.5 multiplier and re-test at 12:12     
The curd tested beautifully and cut cleanly.  15 minute stirring results with a nice yellow whey being expelled and it looks like retained as much of the butter fat I could.
So the 5.5 multiplier was good.  Resting again for 15 minutes and then to hooping.  I'll try and attach images but I don't seem to manage that from here.  Slow connection or something :)
Ahhhh!   Thanks for the cheese. I'm getting there :)

Cloversmilker

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 03:07:29 AM »
Thanks for the posting.  I've tried cams twice now with mixed results.  It's helpful to have the your recipe and commentary.  I'm waiting until the calf is weaned and I have more milk before I try them again.   

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:15:18 AM »
I'm glad someone has benefitted from this and Oh BTW I'm ExtrEEEEmly jealous you have 'real' milk.  Oh well you work with what you have.  No use blaming the tools...
I hope the following images post as I've had no joy posting images. They should be

Just after the curd cut and first stir.
settling under the whey (love the colour)
hooped out and draining. the 8 litres filled the 4 hoops perfectly.

Let see what happens. :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:19:48 AM »
Woot !  Image success . . . I'll post progress imges as they become available.  I will master this cheese, it might take a couple more goes but I feel confident this time..  Stay tuned.

boothrf

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:24 AM »
Looking good Ozziecheese, will be hooping mine in 15 minutes. Had a very nice set and curds looking good. Lovely clear, greenish whey.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 03:42:23 AM »
Yo Bob . . . sound like sucess to me.  It would be great to see some images and compare make notes.. Mine have already settled nearly 1 inch in 40 minutes.  Air temp 24 degrees and looking good.  Time to wash up and vino...
 8)

boothrf

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:03:29 AM »
Here are some photos Ozziecheese. I also have plenty of other photos on my previous posts "Making Camembert Today" started in September.

Curd weight is very high, this recipe seems to hold a lot of moisture, so I'm pleased we have a warm (25 C) day down here today to help the draining.

Wine o'clock sounds good  8) 8)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 04:17:49 AM »
oooooh they look nice.  not fair you get 6 :)  Now for the nervous part . . . the first flip . . . if you don't hear from me again they have split and I have gone to the pub never again to make camembert.   

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 04:29:41 AM »
Well . . . .  I'm still here.  This is like 10 pin bowling, just when you are sure it is not going to plan you get a strike . .   4 perfect drops.  Looks like it's up to the fungus gods from here.
Hope yours do as well.
this is my flipping rig ---- cheese board,sushi mat, cheese hoops, sushi mat and another cheese board.  all together now 1 . . . . 2 . . . . .3  Flip damn you flip !  Now Drop ... please drop and if you can see to it.. all in one piece.
Whew! I ask myself sometimes is this all worth it and then I look at the faces consuming my 'Art' and I go 'Hell yeah!'

boothrf

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 04:43:03 AM »
Yes, I'm aiming for a slightly thinner cam this time, around 200g each, so there are 6 moulds.  I use fresh milk, so my yield may be a little higher. 

I turn mine one at a time, using a cloth over the top. Don't really have any issues with Cam hoops. Sometimes they take some time to drop, but that is usually towards the end of the drain time and they are quite firm by then.