Well, I've decided to make another Montasio as my previous two makes, still not sampled, used lipase which was apparently non-functional and I didn't have any LH flavour enhancing culture. So, having now picked up new lipase and some LH culture, I figured it was all a go.
And, just to ensure I've changed as many variables as possible, I also decided to use my new calf rennet instead the microbial rennet I've been using. The calf rennet bottle says use 3ml / 10 L, but it didn't list the IMCU for strength. I normally use 0.6 ml of the 750 IMCU vegetarian rennet to get a floc time in 10-15 minutes. Using a simple conversion I estimated the calf rennet to be around 175. I e-mailed the store and asked if they had the IMCU for the calf rennet, and it's 280! When I then calculated how much rennet I figured I needed to get a similar floc time as I get with the 750 rennet, that worked out to be 1.6 ml, not 3.0 ml.
I went with my calculated amount, and my floc time was 12 min 30 sec! (could have been 12, as I think I tend to overshoot a wee bit). Had I used the 3ml for this make, it would have floc'd somewhere around 6 minutes, which is way too fast. I'm very pleased with myself, but I have to admit, linuxboy had confirmed that my conversion equations should get me in the right ballpark, so a big thanks to you for that confidence booster.
Anyway, we're going to the beach shortly, so after the first 30 min press in the pot I'll flip it, and then just press in the pot at 1.08 PSI until we get back. Will post some photos when it's out of the press tomorrow.
Montasio: Sunday, Nov, 2011 17 C, sunny, high pressure
10 litres homebrand standard milk (pasteurized)
4 ice cubes thermophillic
1/16-1/th tsp LH
½ tsp 30% CaCl in egg cup of water
¼ tsp calf lipase in egg cup of water
1.6 ml calf rennet IMCU 280
1) Warm to between 30.5-35.0 (start : 8:55 am; start Temp 7.8 C)
2) Add lipase (time: 9:10 – temp 35.0 C)
3) Add CaCl (9:11 temp: 34.9 C) (oops, should have been after ripening)
4) Add starter (time:9:12 - temp 34.8 C)
5) Ripen 30 minutes (target Time: 9:45)
6) Add rennet (target floc 10-15 minutes) (time added: 9:45:00 temp 34.8 C | floc time: 12 m 30 sec )
7) Use 3x multiplier (wait: 37 m 30 sec; cut time 10:22:30)
8) Cut to corn kernel size (1/2 cm cubes), heal 10 minutes (start time: 10:27 – 10:37; temp 33.9 C)
9) Stir and cook curds while raising temp to 47.8-50 C over 45-60 minutes (start: 10:37 @ 34.0 C - reached 48.0 C at 11:20 am)
10) Let curds settle under whey, gather into large cake and drain (sit 20 minutes: 11:40 am)
11) After draining curds, break up curds and stir for 15-35 minutes (release whey) (start time: 11:45 end time 12:05)
12) Move to mold and press (time: 12:12-12:42; 5 kg : pressed in the pot; 0.36 psi)
13) Flip and redress; press for 1 hour 45 minutes at 15 kg (12:55 – 2:40; 1.08 psi)
14) Flipped and redressed, move to room @ 20C Increase weight to 35.2 kg (2.53 psi) (2:45)
15) After 2.5 hours, 5:15 flipped and redressed. Increased weight to 35.2 kg (2.53 psi for overnight press fantastic knit!)
16) Removed from press 6:00 am, Nov 18th, weight 1176g. (15.5 cm x 5.0 cm = 1.25 g/cm3) Best knit yet
17) Placed in saturated brine at 6:00 am for 8 hours/kg (4 hours/lbs) (removed at 4:35 Pm; 1154g)
Went to the beach for the pressing, so the schedule is not the same as before.
Attached below is the chart showing the heat rise, which I'm pretty pleased with this time. In the sink works much better than in the double boiler.
And, the 2nd photo shows the cheese just after the 15 kg press (step 13). The knit is pretty good for this stage, and will definately improve as the weight goes up. The cheese still feels like it's going to compress and knit, so this is all going to plan. He says with an undue sense of confidence. :)
And the 3rd photo is the cheese after the all night press and just before going for a salty swim. 1176g, which is exactly the same as my previous make at this stage! Although this one is slightly denser (1.18 g/cm3 last time vs 1.25 g/cm3 this time). I've increased the pressing weights, so I'm assuming the difference would reflect a reduction in internal mechanical openings in this time.
It's lost a few grams after brining. It's now 1154g post brine. And, when I check my notes, the 2nd one I made was also 1154g post brine! I'm very pleased with the consistency of the yield.