Author Topic: Ancient Roman Cheese Press  (Read 3937 times)

FoxDog Farm

Ancient Roman Cheese Press
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
I wear several hats besides farmer/cheesemaker, and one of them is archaeologist.  My speciality is the Roman Army in northern Europe, specifically Britain.  Anyway, this little item has been bugging me ever since I learned how to make cheese.

Occasional finds from Roman Britain include items traditionally labelled as 'cheese press'.

Here's a pic:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/uiPFEqFnS-W5zPR9X6ewUg

And another:  Roman Cheese Press

And another:  http://www.armatura.connectfree.co.uk/concangis/photos/cheese.htm

So, here's why it bugs me.  Why the ridges in the bottom of the 'press'?  And how would it have been used?  I suppose a rock or whatever could have been put on a follower.  I've never seen an artefact like a follower from Roman Britain though (although I'm not entirely sure most archaeologists, unless they have studied cheesemaking, would recognize a follower), not that I've seen everything ever found there  :D.

I'm asking the experts here.  Are there any modern cheeses that feature such deep ridges in the rind?  Maybe the press was only used for draining whey or making soft cheese?  Any guesses as to how to use the 'press'?   I'm tempted to have a pottery making friend make me a copy or two, so I can try them out and see what happens...

MrsKK

Re: Ancient Roman Cheese Press
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
They look more like cheese molds to me, rather than "presses".  It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
The third pic actually tells what it is: "The milk was kept at a steady temperature and then the curd would be transferred to the mould and the whey forced to drain away by the application of pressure (probably in the form of a weight)."

It appears to be a cheese mould.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
Judging from the shape, these "molds" could have been stacked on top of each other, and then a simple weight place on top of the stack.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
These look like molds for more wet, longer set curds... like tommes or stiltons. Molds that, as sailor said, were stacked and the grooves helped to penetrate the cheese to ensure good moisture drain. With uneven measurements and quality control, and perhaps with a lack of understanding about what influences moisture retention in curd, it makes sense that they would try to eliminate as much moisture as possible... Whey pockets and moisture gradients make for inferior product.

My vote is ridges to help with draining for stackable molds.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »
The second photo looks like unglazed pottery that would absorb even more moisture and wick it away from the cheese.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:45 AM »
Archaeologists have always called these presses, without any evidence for doing so. Can you imagine what would happen if you put heavy weights on a piece of roughly fired clay?

FoxDog Farm

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Yea, as soon as I learned about cheesemaking, I realized these weren't 'presses'.  Moulds maybe.  I'm still puzzled about the circular indentations.  And some of the moulds don't have very many draining holes.

I think these were first called cheese presses by the Victorians.  Sometimes they got things right, sometimes not.  The name has stuck.  No-one I know has really studied these... yet.  Cool, something to do in my copious spare time!

Thanks for all the replies.  It's given me much to think about.  Does anyone know of any other ceramic type moulds?  I would think they would get awfully cold awfully quickly, unless used in a very warm environment.  I really think I'll have my friend the potter make one of these moulds, just to see. 

dthelmers

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
If the curds were still in the cheese cloth, and a very moderate weight placed on them, like another mold, I think that the rings would form a little channel to let the whey escape. The cheesecloth, if gathered into a stilton knot, would keep the curds from filling the channel. Otherwise it would need more holes, I think.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
Sailor's right. Ungklaed pottery will absorb any moisture around. There wouldn't be the need for extra holes. Traditionally, his type of pottery was used in the Middle East to keep water cool; as it evaporates through seepage to the outside of the pot, temperatures are kept down on the inside.