Author Topic: Raw Goat Milk  (Read 7081 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Raw Goat Milk
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
Well my buck lives with my girls 24/7/365 and as Iratherfly will tell you my milk has no goaty taste.
Unless the person milking is NOT washing their hands or udders and allowing them to come in contact with the milk there is no way that  the way the buck smells can taint the milk.
It is like the person next to me having real bad BO and my breastmilk tasting off.
Old wives tale.

Spellogue

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
Perhaps, and maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I'm not taking any chances for now. It is easy enough for us to keep the boys separate from the girls, we need to do that to control who is breeding whom anyway.  I love the smelly little guys, but I just don't want them around my primadonnas when they are in milk.  This is the first year I'm still milking while the boys are in rut.  Perhaps in the future I'll be able to run trials in this area for my own confidence.  I might have mentioned that we did have one guy in with the milkers when he wasn't yet in season (emitting none oh his personal cologne) and that had no effect on the milk.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:06 AM »
I saw this thread a little late, but thought I'd contribute my experience also.  My bucks are immediately next door to my does in milk--I mean kissing through the fence close.  I only noticed a little bit of increased goaty-ness in the milk when the does were actually being bred, so maybe for a week total, across the girls' breeding period.  I have never noticed any off flavor due to what they ate, and I've fed them lots of different veggies I've grown for them, including Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, turnips, etc), as well as browse (branches from different trees and shrubs).  Both those observations fly in the face of the 'common knowledge'.
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!