Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Carter's Version 2.0  (Read 10489 times)

LadyLiberty

Re: Curd Cutter - Carter's Version 2.0
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 11:57:43 PM »
So you are going to add horizontal wires on to that curdknife too?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »
No I have a separate knife for that. I'll post pics soon.

Cornelius

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
... when introducing the knife into the curd you will smash a half inch wide section of the curd to bits.

This might be a silly question, but is there any harm in having the curd knife already in the vat just after adding the rennet? That way you can just start dragging it once the curd sets without causing a 1/2 inch piece of metal to smash the curd as you introduce the knife.

BTW, Beautiful Knifes!

Quick question, since you are not stringing the wire, are you welding each and every end to the frame?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
the knives and frame act as a lever and if they move or vibrate ever so slightly it'll mess up the set. Best to put them in after it sets.

newbie001

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »
I agree with everyone that those knives look great. A little out of my price range since 400 dollars is the monthly salary of a professor at my university. The welders in my country only get 8-10 dollars a day, so I will probably have my metal shop here construct something similar.

I do have a thought though. Since most of us use large pots for cheese production, wouldn't making a ring shaped outer bar the size of 20/30qt stock pots work better.

If you have a rectangular shaped vat those would work great.  I would take 10 or 12 gauge s. steel wire make the out ring with two straight handles sticking up on either side. Then use the thinner wire like a 24 or 26 guage welded to it. You push the wire through the cheese rotate it 90 degrees and bring it up. That way you get your perfect size in one up and down motion. 

Do you think that would work? 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:57 AM »
Think about it, when you push it through it's only making vertical cuts, you still have to make horizontal cuts. The way you describe you'd get long cubes. Plus you won't be able to weld that wire, you need to solder it.

newbie001

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 02:44:49 AM »
you are right that you only make vertical cuts when you go down, but then you rotate 90 degrees when you are under the curd and pull up slicing it the other direction.  soldering and welding in my language are the same word but I get your point.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:02 AM »
WHen you go down you are going vertical, just because you turn it 90 degrees at the bottom and pull up you are still pulling up vertically. In order to cut them as 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" cubes you would have to push down, rotate 90 degrees,pull up, rotate a little to cut the long cubes into uniform cubes. Pull up 1/2" rotate 90, pull up 1/2", rotate. Get it? If not then try visualizing it, just going down once, rotating 90 degrees once and pulling up will give you long 1/2" x 1/2" cubes, that are the length of the pot 14" or what ever size pot you have.

Cornelius

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
Hi,

There actually is a curd knife for round vats that is a beauty and it functions very similar to what you had in mind - only that it adds horizontal wires. I saw it on a German Cheese Supplier's web site. It is obvious that this kind of knife only fits one diameter vat, but then again how often does one change vats. The company sells a knife specific to each of their vats which come in sizes of 70l, 150l and 300l. (unfortunately they are fully automatic and a bit pricey).

For the sake of cleaning, I would hope the vertical section is detachable ...

FRANCOIS

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 01:37:42 AM »
I have seen thos in France for cam. manufacture.  They are very old school, a son-of-a-b(*^%#@ to clean and it's all one wire, so when it breaks....it BREAKs.  I didn;t know anyone made these anymore.

wharris

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:31 AM »
I just ordered some Stainless Steel flatbar. (1/8" X 5/8") and will be constructing a simple curd knife from Stainless Steel fishing line and SS eyebolts.

If a line breaks,  i snip a new line and re-string it.

As I build, I will post the design and pics.

newbie001

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
Good luck Wayne. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cartier, I would love if you could post a close up of your string welds.

I also had a thought of why not have both horizontal and vertical wires on one knife welded to either end?

I think having two large knives takes up a lot of room.

Thanks again for sharing your pics and designs. They look very good.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »
We discussed this already, not sure where, but you'll find it.