Author Topic: pH Meter - Recommendation?  (Read 6092 times)

aceddu

pH Meter - Recommendation?
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
Hello to everyone! Before I go any further,I'd like to say "thanks" to all.On this site I have found answers to many questions I've had regarding cheese,and the equipment required to create it,and the thoughts/ideas that lead me in new directions.I am new to this site,but not new to cheese making.I have been making cheese for a few years,and have been doing so without the use of the technology available to me.Which leads me to the reason for this post...I am interested in finding a utensil that would perform well in both cheese making and the process of making salumi(cured meats).I am curious as to how well(accurate)the ph strips would work vs. the low-cost ph meter...vs. the higher priced ph meters.
Anybody have any opinions to share,pros/cons of both...working with both cheese and meats? I'm looking forward to the responses.
  Thanks...Mike

wharris

Re: pH Meter - Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
The main difference I have found between the strips and any meters is raw accuracy. The strips just are not that acccurate.
the el-cheapo pH meters are way ahead of the strips in accuracy, but I have two problems with them.
1> not accurate enough to produce consistant results, in that they will typically measure out to the tenths of a pH. (good ones will give you another decimal.) (why?  I stop cooking my cheddar at pH 6.15.   not 6.1 or 6.2)
2>They will break easily and soon.  I went through 2 el-cheapos prior to getting my current rig.

My current pH meter will measure the pH of my cheesemilk, my curds, my finished cheese, my wine, my spit,  and I would have to assume your cured meats   ;D

I use this pH meter. Extech EXSTIK PH110

You can find a discussion of this, and other pH meters here.

Good Luck.

clherestian

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »
Wayne -

Is that the person you bought your ph meter from? Does it include everything you need to get started, or do you also have to buy solution? I will be purchasing a meter in the next few weeks.

Christian

wharris

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
Here is the manufacturers web site.

If you click on the picture, it will take you to their web site and show you all the accessories.
You can buy this here, or on Amazon. 
I have attached the meter's datasheet.

aceddu

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
Wayne - I've read about this meter for the past few hours,and it looks like a winner.It appears to be very simple to use,and the ph readings carry to the 2nd decimal place,much more accurate than the strips.I searched ebay U.S.A. and found one for less than $100,
so I went ahead and purchased it.I hope to use it within the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks for your help !
        Mike

wharris

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
Congratulations and good luck!

jonneyl7

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
So Most of the recipes i read control ph through time and heat. They do not list a specific PH level. Is there a  recipe book that lists ph levels, or do you have any general guidee lines.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
The U Guelph site has some specific guidelines.

http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/cheese/welcom.htm

In general:
  • Wait for pH to drop at least .05-.1 from the time you add culture before renneting. This usually takes ~30 mins. You want the bacteria to wake up.
  • Rennet at around 6.5
  • From here, it varies with the cheese. Use the flocculation, multiplier, and curd size guidelines and take notes on pH so you can repeat it. Here, pH is a bit more forgiving. If you get the starter amount and temps right, pH should follow. If not, adjust time and/or temp to hit targets.
  • pH at whey drain varies with cheese style. Higher for alpine style cheeses because you want a rubbery curd with them. In general somewhere around 6.1. Alpines are closer to 6.4
  • Press and wait until pH is 5.4
  • Brine or salt at 5.4. After brining, most hard cheeses should be around 5.1. But again, varies with the style.

wharris

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
If you look around, you will find some recipes like those listed at Peter Dixon's Site that reference pH.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 12:51:48 AM »
Danged if I can find it on his site again but Professor Hill of U Guelph gave me promission several years ago to reproduce his information on "Cheese Families" on my website. If you look closely on the tables you will find  a lot of info on pH and other helpful info based on the type of cheese you are making. This was the first current printed guide I used for making cheese and I find it very helpful.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/CheeseDownloads_files/CheeseFamily.pdf

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 01:29:51 AM »

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
Also, the CHR Hansen Cheese Making Guides have some pH or Titratable Acid numbers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
DD, it's here: http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/cheese/sectiona.htm

Thanks LB no wonder I couldn't find it I coverted it into a table and was looking for the table - DUH!

I have been working on a new table of pHs and quick ref recipes but it's not done yet. I am an Excel addict too.