Author Topic: Recipe for Epoisses  (Read 8291 times)

Melbourne Cheese

Recipe for Epoisses
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
Hi all,

I have had a look through some of these posts and threads trying to find a recipe for an Epoisses but I can't seem to find one.  Does anyone have one or direct me to a thread where I could find one.  Would love to give it a try. 

Thanks in advance!

Richard

dttorun

Re: Recipe for Epoisses
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
I don't know the source but I have a recipe for this...
Tan

In France they wash it first in brine then with water mixed with marc de bourgogne, distilled grape pommace.
Dry the cheeses for three days to eliminate some moisture.

2 gallons raw milk
30°C (86F)
¼ tsp Meso II
1/8 tsp geo
Ripen two to three hours
Add 4 drops rennet (in 2 oz H2O)
16-24 hours lactic ripening
Cut curds in 2 in cubes.
Put into molds at pH 4.5
Drain 24-48 hours; flip 2x
Unmold at pH 4.3
Dry salt 1-2% (1 Tbl)
Spray with B linens, and/or put it in brine (raises pH to 5.5!)
Wash every two days for 6 weeks, first with brine, then with ever increasing amount of grappa diluted in water.
Note:  Alternatively, one could add 1/8 tsp B. lines to milk with starter & geotrichum.

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
Thanks for that Tan.  One question, am new at this so excuse if it is a silly one, the starter you have mentioned is that for a medium temperature one only required for acid production or one that adds some flavour as well?

dttorun

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
They all do their trick to give characteristic flavor to the cheese depending on bacteria strain they are carrying.
Tan

margaretsmall

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
Thanks Tan for posting this, I'd like to try it. I don't have (yet! On my Xmas list) a pH gadget - so after cutting the curd, how long is it likely to take to get to pH 4.5? Do you do the usual occasional stirring until there's a clear separation of whey and curds?
Margaret

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
Richard, I thought you might find some value in the following threads:

Epoisses from Brooklyn

From ArnaudForestier

There are others...search on Epoisses.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:20:40 AM »
Thanks Boofer, I did try to do a search with the term Epoisses but it came back with, excuse the language, "pisses".  Not quite what I was looking for to tell the truth.

I think I have found enough info to launch a go with the cheese now.  I bought some and tried it for the first time last weekend and have truly fallen for its taste and texture.  Such a beautiful cheese!!

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »
So what do you need, exactly? The affinage regiment? The make? You can't imitate epoisses, you realize... do you want to make an epoisses-inspired cheese? I can lay out the process they use for real epoisses if you want. But if you imitate the process exactly, you will create a completely different cheese because your flora is different.  So not sure what you want. Your options are:

- Exact recipe for epoisses, as made
- Recipe for epoisses-style variants and clones from other parts of the world.
- Recipe for something like epoisses, adapted for modern DVI cultures

edit: I even found an old post I made for the typical make. This is the way they make old school epoisses. It's the real thing from notes I scribbled down from an actual maker.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2984.msg58244.html#msg58244

if you talk to the makers, they will tell you that acidity is absolutely key, and so are the air exchange rate, oxygen exchange rate, physical air flow rate, and humidity during affinage.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:06:12 AM by linuxboy »

Leasa

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Hi richard.
If yiu look in the problem page under stinky epoisse, iratherfly gives me some good advice on how to make a good epoisses.

Hope it helps you
Cheers leas

Melbourne Cheese

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
Thanks Leasa, I have been reading that thread with interest.  Am waiting now for the Christmas break to tackle that one!