Author Topic: Semi-Lactic Goat's cheese  (Read 7940 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Semi-Lactic Goat's cheese
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Hi hoeklijn,

It worked, but only just.  The taste is quite good.  It has a fruitiness initially, which then picks up a more goat cheese characteristic.  A nice long smooth finish as well.  The curds are very very soft, and I lost some to sticking to the moulds, etc.  These require a lot of gentle handling to get them to the finish line.  You could never make anything like a goat's milk caerphilly, or a goats milk gouda, using this milk, which is what I think the books mean by you can't use UHT milk for cheese (pressed cheeses).  But, these semi-lactics seem to be doable, and a simple fresh "bag drained" cheese would be great.  Of course, you are in the better situation with fresh milk available to you so my hat's off to you! 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
A final update on these.  These have turned out to be a real hit.  The cheese reamains soft, and is easily spreadable on a baggette, where it is very nice.  Would be brilliant on a toasted bagel.  Took the second one over to my sister-in-laws and shared it with the family and they all really liked it.  Very creamy and smooth, with a very nice taste.  Not too strong, but not bland either.  So, there's just a tiny smidge left.  Might have to make these again actually.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I did a twist on this , mixed some freshly drained yogurt with the pre-drained and salted semi lactic curds.
It grew a white coat and a week later I found it too acidic so I droped the humidity so it can dry and harden.

beechercreature

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
I did a twist on this , mixed some freshly drained yogurt with the pre-drained and salted semi lactic curds.
It grew a white coat and a week later I found it too acidic so I droped the humidity so it can dry and harden.

Did you taste it or take a ph reading?

Tomer1

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
I tasted it, I figure its around 4-4.2.

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
Did you add PC or geo for the white coat?  Any photos?

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
Pc but I usually get some wild geo.  I'l take some tomorow.