Author Topic: Pink mold on crumbly Gorgonzola?  (Read 2758 times)

cutetrill

Pink mold on crumbly Gorgonzola?
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »
Ok, so this is only my second attempt at hard cheese and my first ever gorgonzola. On one side of the cheese there is pink coloring, i'm assuming pink mold, that even after the 4 days of salt application hasn't diminished.  Now I read that pink mold is caused from too much moisture, but my cheese also crumbled a little when I was piercing the holes for the good mold, which I thought was from it being too dry. So what is going on?

See pics below, It's kinda hard to see the pink mold though.

Cheese Head

Re: Pink mold on crumbly Gorgonzola?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »
Sorry for late reply, nice quality pictures but I can't see the pink, I only tried this cheese once so take these thoughts with grain of salt :):

If you search the forum on work "Pink" or "Pink Mold" you'll find several threads.

When I've pierced my blue's, I also get the little lumps when pull my piercing tool out, I think from cheese being moist and sticky, I wouldn't worry about that.

I also initially used bamboo sushi mats but have since learnt from others that they easily harbor wild and unwanted molds, I would Frisbee and get some food grade mats.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
I found that you can minimize the damage caused when extracting the piercing device by placing your fingertips beside it when extracting. You'll basically squeegee the piercer as it is withdrawn. It's not perfect, but it does help.

You will no doubt find that the cheese has quite a bit of moisture internally...that it is not too dry.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

cutetrill

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
Alright so it is just humidity then? The cheese does feel moist to the touch. I'm pretty sure everything seems to be happening the way it's supposed to, I just wanted to check.