Author Topic: Sheep milk Reblochon  (Read 3633 times)

elkato

Re: Sheep milk Reblochon
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
Hello George, I had not seen your post!
 The color balance in that photo did not show the real tone which was strong pumpkin orange.
 My reblochons turned out OK. but way too salty, I probably brined too long, also the B.linens took forever to get established (wrong PH afther pressing?) but when I was able to obtain KL71 (yeast) and added it to the wash almost overnight the orange took over in a slimy way which never dried, died or went away, I learned a lot about B.Linens one of the best things that happened with it was that my sheep milk Camemberts got contaminated with it and the outcome was amazing ( I am breaking my head to duplicate those Camemberts!!)

Priestman

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
I had a similar yellowing experience with a reblochon-type I made with cows milk at the end of December and documented on a different thread.  The yellow was nearly florescent in brightness and tone and went away after a couple of weeks,  but I am still curious.  After a month the cheese was good, but not done--still a crumbly in the middle.  I will be opening the companion cheese up next week and will report out.

Paul'
THE BIG FARM Creamery
www.thebigfarmcreamery.com

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »
I certainly appreciate the feedback, and I am always thankful that so many of us try all these different experiments and have one another to throw ideas and results around.   Elkato - I see what you are saying about the use of b.linen, it is a learning curve for me as well, but slowly it's beginning to make sense.  Priestman - cow milk especially Jersey milk makes great Reblochon, I can certainly understand about the fluerescent yellow, for me it was/is very discouraging since taste and texture are perfect, just not very artisanal looking.  Did you add Geo in the mix, aged one month, you should have a somwhat soft and not crumbly center.