Author Topic: Jeff's semi-lactic Blue  (Read 16109 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Jeff's semi-lactic Blue
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
This one is becoming quite multicoloured.  A bit of cross-contamination from the PC, but it should make for an interesting result.  Seems to be developing nicely though.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
 :o If I didn't know what delights hid behind the exterior of a multi moldy rind I would have had to say that's frightening!  ;D 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
:o If I didn't know what delights hid behind the exterior of a multi moldy rind I would have had to say that's frightening!  ;D
Yeah, since I started down this road, my perspective of things moldy has definitely taken on enhanced vision.

"Hey, Boofer, the cheese is moldy...I'm going to throw it out."
"No, Honey, it's just aging properly. It's supposed to look like that."  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
Yes, I remember that argument... now I remove exterior mold before my sweetheart can see it!  ;)

Tomer1

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
Jeff what kind of blueing are you getting?

It just started showing up and its already smelling very pungent, I hope the taste is not the same since I like my blues mild.
Maybe my culture is not mild enough for this style of cheese and the high moisture just accelerates everything.

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
It seems ok at the moment.  I used mold from a blue cheese and not prepared culture, which could make a difference.  The cheese I used was a fairly strong one, so the difference may be preference.  I don't mind a strong blue.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
I once forgot one of my left over stiltons wraped in the back of the fridge for a few months.
The taste was unbearable, it was so strong my tongue was about to fall off,
It was like tasting the most overly tannic wine ever,same astringency.

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 02:41:50 AM »
Hi,

Just an update as the bluing takes over.  It's looking good.  I repierced today, and the cheese that came out on the skewer was quite tasty!  Still a bit mild, but it's holding up. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
That's got a really nice blue patina. A regular piece of art.  :)

How long will you let it go?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »
I like the color of your blue.  My blue is green with envy.  ;)

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 04:15:19 AM »
Thanks Boofer and Anut,

It's only about 3 weeks old now, so I could let it go a bit longer.  Another week at least, will see how things progress. 

The colour in the photo is a much more "baby blue" than it looks in real life.  I used the flash on this photo, and that's changed the colour.  But, it shows where the blue is developed, etc, so that's good.  Should be quite tasty if the blue fills in the pierceing well.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »
Hi all!

Ok, today is day 30 for this one.  I decided to cut into it and give it a go.  The paste is still very moist, but solid all the way through.  There were no openings for additional blue to develop.  Not surprising though.  The piercings have remained open, and blue has developed along them nicely.  The taste is very, very good!  My wife gave it a 10 out of 10, and she normally doesn't care for blue cheese (although she thinks she's developing a taste for it as she enjoyed the cheese from which I harvested the mould, and she's enjoyed some blues at work parties recently as well).  Anyway, the flavour is a definate blue (especially if you eat the rind).  It's not mild, but not too strong or over the top either.  There's no bitterness or acidity to the paste, and it spreads very nicely.  This is definately worth doing again.  Probably my best blue yet!   (Ok, I admit it, it's the only blue I've done - at least on purpose!)

- Jeff

p.s. My 4 year old daughter likes this one too!  She's developed a very sophisticated palette when it comes to cheese, and now likes most everything I've made.  Hmmm, wonder how she's going to do with the washed rind that I'm doing?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:11:50 AM by JeffHamm »

Tomer1

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »

The shades of blue is not digital degredation of the picutre but the real deal which is cool ^-^

Next attemp, drain longer to reduce moisture and wrap. (early)

anutcanfly

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
Looking very tasty

Tomer1

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
Well.. Unfortunatlly it wasnt.  Bitter and the curds werent as creamy as I hoped.