Author Topic: Cut Curd Heal Time  (Read 2204 times)

wharris

Cut Curd Heal Time
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »
I observed a 5 min "heal time" after the initial cut of the curd.
that is,  I cut the curd into cubes,  but did not further disturb the curds for 5 min.
Then i proceeded with the recipe process that stated "stir gently for 10 min...."

I gotta say that i liked the outcome.

Here is a picture of the curd, 1st stir after 5 min heal after cutting.

Does anyone else observe a "heal time?"

Likesspace

Re: Cut Curd Heal Time
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »
Wayne,
On my last swiss cheese, I did observe a heal time....actually a couple of them.
The first was when I cut the surface of the cheese, vertically and horizontally. Once the cuts were made I let the cheese "sit" to firm up for about 5 minutes.
Then, after I used my homemade (very crude) horizontal curd knife I did the subsurface cuts and then allowed the curd to sit for another 5 minutes.
After this I then followed the recipe as usual and (like what appears to have happened in your photo) I had a very nice firm curd that held together while being further cut and stirred.
Even after I cut the curd with a french whisk my cheese did not turn to mush as usual. The curd held together and I had to do a lot of additional cutting with my spoon while cooking.
From now on, I will not make a cheese without observing this "healing time". I honestly didn't know that was what it was called, but I do know that it seems to work and work well.
Great post that will help a lot of people in their cheesemaking.

Dave

Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
I have a couple of recipes that call for a 5 - 10 min resting time before stiring.  I also have noticed the difference and tend to observe a resting time of at least 5 mins with all my cheeses now.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:18:12 AM »
I agree with everyone. I just noticed in my last few batches, especially since I'm using a auto stirrer, that a 5 min heal time is absolutely necessary.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:26:35 PM »
Agree, it really helps to gel and strengthen the curds before heating.

That is if you are heating, on the posted Guardian Camembert making video, the curds look freshly cut when they are ladled into the Camembert Hoops.