Author Topic: Brie & Camembert - Ripening Time > Wooden Boxes & Wrapping Paper Discussion  (Read 13629 times)

kasiaw

I am going to try making my first Camembert, and have not yet developed a taste for runny cheese.  I love cheeses like Cowgirl Creamery's Mt Tam, and St Angel when they are custardy in the middle but not runny.  Is there a general rule of thumb for how long to age a Camembert to get a consistency like that?  I read somewhere that pressing on it, you could tell by the firmness, kind of like testing how well done a steak is by pressing on it.  Any advice?

Thanks!

cheesequeen

Camembert matures 6 - 8 weeks depends on your cave temp and humidity. I just served mine last nite party it was just right ,creamy in the middle and the sides just an ooze but not runny. It is 7 weeks old. I topped it Basil pesto on a platter and served with water crackers on the side. My friends can not believe it is homemade. It has that earthy,mushroomy taste with the right tang on your cheek and tongue like a good wine. It is a AH HAH! moment I must say.
Happy Cheesemaking.

Melbourne Cheese

I read that if you clench your fist then press the fleshy part of the base of your thumb then that is what a ready camembert should feel like.  I suppose it all depends on how fleshy your hands are!

Happy fist clenching.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Camembert matures 6 - 8 weeks depends on your cave temp and humidity. I just served mine last nite party it was just right ,creamy in the middle and the sides just an ooze but not runny. It is 7 weeks old. I topped it Basil pesto on a platter and served with water crackers on the side. My friends can not believe it is homemade. It has that earthy,mushroomy taste with the right tang on your cheek and tongue like a good wine. It is a AH HAH! moment I must say.
Happy Cheesemaking.
Kudos to you, cheesequeen! Success!  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

cheesequeen

Thank you. I am making my first gruyere right now. It is on its third day draining on room temp. Keeping my finger cross for that aha moment again!
Happy Cheesemaking! 8)

MattK

On a related note (not to hijack your thread :))....

I have 7 4-in cams all ready at the same time (I know....poor planning). Can I freeze them to keep the current level of ripeness? I searched around, but couldn't find a thread about this yet...

Thanks!
MattK

cheesequeen

Hmm mmm I am not sure. I have not seen thread about frozen cam. Mine is usually eaten as soon as they are ready. I give them as gifts to my family and friends. I would think they could be frozen as long as they are wrapped good, double layered foil, but not longer than few weeks only. Thaw out in fridge then room temp before serving. All you can do is perhaps try one cam doing this and see what happens. I am interested to know outcome as well.
Happy Cheesemaking

iratherfly

Camembert can age properly within 21 days and be "à point" by day 28.  To age it longer you will need a far lower temperature than classic Camember and good pre-draining or smaller cutting of curd (Camembert AOC curd it ladled). Watch out for runny texture because it is a sign of ammoniation. An undesired smelly spicy quality for this cheese - a sign that ammonia is taking over. Properly ripe Camembert should be supple and soft, elastic and even gooey -but never runny.

Yes, judge it by the smell and by the feeling of your skin below the thumb when your hand is close-fisted. Some people compare it to the feeling of pressing your eye when your eyelid is close. Smell should be mushroomy, not pungent. If you are not sure whether or not your cheese has ammoniated, try drinking orange juice right after you eat the cheese. If it passes, the cheese is fine. If it's utterly bizarre in your mouth - the cheese is over the hill. (by the way, this is a bad pairing even with perfect Camembert...)

Best suggestion; head on over to a good cheese shop and buy a Camembert de Normandie AOC (any brand). This is the most proper example of a perfect Camembert consistency. Enjoy it and memorize the texture, aroma, flavor profile and rind appearance. Take photos to later compare with yours.  Most other Camemberts are not as good and heavily stabilized so they lack the flavor and proper texture. A good Coulommiers or Brie such as Fromage de Meaux will also work

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese

I have 7 4-in cams all ready at the same time (I know....poor planning). Can I freeze them to keep the current level of ripeness? I searched around, but couldn't find a thread about this yet...

Thanks!
MattK
Looks like you're going to have a lot of happy friends with your Holiday Camembert Gifts.  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

cheesequeen

Thanks Boofer. They want my cheese, and my French Macarons than anything else. Love making it.
Happy Cheesemaking 8)

iratherfly

Re: Brie & Camembert - Ripening Time > Wooden Boxes & Wrapping Paper Discussion
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 05:44:32 AM »

Thanks!
MattK
I would not freeze them. Had some terrible experiences every time I tried. It really destroys their texture. you can age them at lower temperature or move them to the fridge sooner and wrap them sooner (Wood or cardboard Camembert box is the best). You can also add a pinch of TA culture when making them to stabilize them and they will last far longer before going runny and ammoniated on you but will be naturally less supple. I have not yet found a way to freeze them (and I always recognize it if a store froze/defrosted them on me). If anyone has a good method - please let me know too!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

Thanks!
MattK

I would not freeze them. Had some terrible experiences every time I tried. It really destroys their texture. you can age them at lower temperature or move them to the fridge sooner and wrap them sooner (Wood or cardboard Camembert box is the best). You can also add a pinch of TA culture when making them to stabilize them and they will last far longer before going runny and ammoniated on you but will be naturally less supple. I have not yet found a way to freeze them (and I always recognize it if a store froze/defrosted them on me). If anyone has a good method - please let me know too!
MattK, "TheCheeseMaker.com" has those cam boxes.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
Shoot, that reminds me it's time to get these boxes in stock and offer them to people on the forum... this guy charges WAY too much and I don't like the cardboard with print of wood. I want wood gotdamnit!

cheesequeen

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »
Boofer,I am very interested to get those Camembert WOODBOXES too. So if you get a big order and want to spit them please put me on your listing to buy.
iratherfly,
Thanks for the useful tips for storage and preservation of cam.
Happy Cheesemaking 8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:36:26 AM by cheesequeen »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Shoot, that reminds me it's time to get these boxes in stock and offer them to people on the forum... this guy charges WAY too much and I don't like the cardboard with print of wood. I want wood gotdamnit!
So...when can we expect them?  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!