Author Topic: Pressing - pH Change?  (Read 1596 times)

medomak

Pressing - pH Change?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
Can someone point me in the direction of something that will explain what's going on with the change in ph of a cheese during the pressing stage?  Just curious if it is something measurable and if so, if you are better off using the measured change in ph as a guide for when to remove from the press (or amount of weight, for that matter) as opposed to times specified in recipes.  Basically, is it akin to using a floc chart instead of a set time?

Additionally, I understand how you measure ph with a meter during ripening and after cutting.  But how would you measure a change in ph during pressing?  Are you measuring the drained whey?  Or are you somehow supposed to measure the ph on the surface of the cheese (and not sure how you'd do that)?

Tomer1

Re: Pressing - pH Change?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
Accually pressing time specification is to aproximate acidification. you may undershoot or overshoot but with a Ph meter your always on target.
If your meter probe doesnt have a flat surface then you can cut a tiny bit of the cheese and blitz it with some distilled water.  I reckon you can use the outer rim of the cheese which you would usually trim off after pressing.

linuxboy

Re: Pressing - pH Change?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
something that will explain what's going on with the change in ph of a cheese during the pressing stage?
Look at pH curves. If whey drain is 6.0-6.4, depending on cheese, then, well, it will follow along the curve. Not sure what more you need.

if it is something measurable
Yes, you can measure the pH curve.
and if so, if you are better off using the measured change in ph as a guide for when to remove from the press
Yes, use the pH markers.
Basically, is it akin to using a floc chart instead of a set time?
Yes, the reason time is used is because given the same make day in and day out in the same conditions, pH and time will highly correlate.