Author Topic: Turning Gravity Draining Cheeses - Using Slightly Conical Molds  (Read 2724 times)

Masterblaster79

Turning Gravity Draining Cheeses - Using Slightly Conical Molds
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:03 AM »
Going to be making saint marcellins for gifts on Christmas. All i have are goat cheese molds and the recipe say to drain in molds for 18 hours, flipping every 6. Question is... seeing as i cant flip the molds, do i buy saint marcellin molds or use what i got and not worry about flipping! Will not flipping or the shape affect the finished cheese? All your help will be greatly appreciated!

linuxboy

Re: Turning Gravity Draining Cheeses - Using Slightly Conical Molds
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
Why can't you flip? Not following... With bottomless molds, you invert. With bottomed molds, you take a spare empty one to begin with, and then flip from one to the other, using the next empty one that becomes free for the next full one.

Masterblaster79

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:17:56 AM »
I was under the impression that seeing as the molds don't have straits sides they cant be flipped? Maybe i am wrong?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
Perfectly fine. Once they get dry enough, you have to be careful so that you don't overdrain, else the shape will not be the right one for st marcellin, but otherwise, flip away, one into the other. Flipping is most helpful in the first 3-6 hours, to get all the why out.

Masterblaster79

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:43:11 AM »
Thank You for the quick reply!

mightyjesse

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
With a mold like that, I have seen people flip the entire mold bottom side up onto a reed matt to drain out the bottom if they don't have extra molds. I'm not sure if this is the *correct* procedure, but it's the one that made the most sense to me when I was mentally processing recipies involving this kind of mold. Personally, I use needle point canvas as a draining mat, as it washes up easily afterward.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
I do that, I put a fine plastic mesh or cloth so prevent curds from slipping thru. works fine.   I havent mastered the "flipping without breaking" method with soft cheeses and I dont think i'l ever will :)