Author Topic: A random smattering of photos  (Read 2537 times)

smilingcalico

A random smattering of photos
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »
OK, if my photos won't post this time, then I'll go ahead and quit trying.  Here's the vat and press I use.  The vat is about 50 years old. 

JeffHamm

Re: A random smattering of photos
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
Very nice, and yes, your photos can be seen.

What's the capacity of your vat?  Is it water/steam heated between the wood and the interior?  I'm assuming there's a network of pipes under the slats rather than shifting it over a fire in the backyard! :)

The collection of wheels is very nice.  What size do you typically produce?

- Jeff

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »
More photos...

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:24 AM »
Hey Jeff,  the vat can hold about 400 gallons, which is about 1500 liters.  It is heated with hot water.  I make three sizes of wheels, 2 pound, 10 pound, and 20 pound.  I've made a few 25 pound wheels to be aged for 18 months.  These are all goudas, of course we don't call them that since we aren't making them in Holland!  I make a stout soaked, a petite syrah soaked, traditional, and a traditional that we age for 6 months (which is screaming good if I do say so myself).  There are a few other flavors as well.

dttorun

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
I am green wth envy. Is it a part of professional cheesemaking operation or basement hobby for you? :-)
Tan

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
I am a cheese maker by profession.  Sadly I can't say that I own the equipment. I work for a small dairy.  The owner milks the cows, and I make the cheese.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
If I turn up one day at the door with a vat that large, My wife will crucify me and feed it to magpies :o , I love you honey  ;D

There is actually a niche market for advanced hobbiests for a 50 litres vat. I looked everywhere here in Australia but then options are either too big or too expensive.

ellenspn

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »
Those are some awesome looking cheeses!  :D

Cloversmilker

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 01:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!  The cheese looks very nice. 

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »
smilingcalico,

These look amazing, thank you for posting these. I like the look of the vat, it looks great for 50 yrs old

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »
Thanks all.  Yeah, i really like the vat, inefficient as she might be.  She's got a leak here and there, but still holds water fairly well.  Oh, Jeff, no pipes, it's all water jacket. The wood might be a bit aged, but the stainless steel still holds a great shine when I'm done cleaning.  We still have the original wood lid that came with it, though it's seen better days too.  Heck not legal to use though, the lid that is.

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:20:09 AM »
Gotcha.  Nice set up.  And the cheeses speak for themselves.   They look fantastic.

- Jeff