Author Topic: Chilipepper's Cheese #012 - Cheddar (stirred curd)  (Read 5266 times)

chilipepper

Re: Chilipepper's Cheese #012 - Cheddar (stirred curd)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 04:14:42 AM »
Yeah, I guess my originaly wording left some questions there for the Cacl addition.  I did add it in two seperate additions and each in 1/4 cup distilled water.  I have to try and dig a little and see where I found it but there was a theory about only adding the CaCl just before the rennet addition and not earlier on in the warming phase.  I'll see if I can find the rational behind that.

As for the temp. and humidity in regards to air drying my cheeses.... I'm just drying them on a bamboo mat in my basement kitchen.  Measured the temp there is 65 degrees and just a shade over 30% humidity.  With it that dry I can usually be waxing in 2 days with a nice even rind on all sides of the cheese.  Seems like the top where the follower was in the press is the last to dry out.  I do believe the cheesecloth in the press lends quite a bit to the rind creation and promotion of drying of these cheeses.

Wayne, are you getting a similar result with the Kodova molds?  Does that fine mesh screen in there get a nice rind going?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 04:26:13 AM »
I would love for you to find out where you heard that about CaCl, because I talked to 2 professionals and they said it didn't matter. Please let me know.

chilipepper

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:44:06 AM »
I think where it stuck in the back of my head was from "The Cheesemaker's Manual" by Margaret Peters-Morris.  She says:

"Calcium Chloride is used to promote a nice firm curd by stabilizing milk's chemical balance. It is a required ingredient if working with homogenized or pasteurized milk since these two processes denature the milk structure. It can also be used in unpasteurized raw milk to maintain cheesemaking consistency year round, taking into account that seasonal variations in milk can affect cheesemaking results, particularly coagulation.

Calcium chloride is added to the milk at the same rate as rennet and is always added just before the rennet."

That last line must be what my subconscience is basing my opinion on.. :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »
Great, thanks, actually written proof. I'll try that next time.

chilipepper

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
"Proof" might be stretching it a bit as each book is only one person's opinion.  Non-the-less she does make it sound good however a little more rationale behind it would certainly help seal the deal.  Obviously, it has been working out well for you guys at whatever stage you add it.

Tea

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
Well I finally slurged yesterday and bought some cacl for a mead that I am making.  I decided that I would also try some next time I make cheese and see if I feel that they is any difference in the curd.  Well let you know what I find.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
well not necessarily true, i'va always used it. never tried a batch with out.