Author Topic: Hi From Santa Cruz Co, CA  (Read 2856 times)

LadyLiberty

Hi From Santa Cruz Co, CA
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
Land of the "Happy Cows"... well I guess that's more up north in Petaluma  ::)

I'm a 46 year old beginning cheese maker.  My husband and I have an alpaca ranch here in the Santa Cruz Mountains and have just started to make our first cheeses.  We've made mozzarella, Farm House Cheddar and hopefully a decent Gouda, and I've made ricotta, and mascarpone.  In fact, tonight, I made tiramisu with homemade organic mascarpone! :)  Can't wait.

We just committed to buy a upright freezer off of Craig list for $50, it looks pretty good, and we want to convert that both for our cheese and for lager beer that my husband wants to try brewing.  (He's a beer brewer, how many folks here also brew beer or make wine?

I'm a spinner and a weaver, and an organic gardener, I also love making artisan type breads and my husband and I both make sausage as well.

I'm sure both of us will have questions especially about getting the humidity right in our "cave".

Nice to meet you all, and I hope I can also contribute ideas.

Captain Caprine

Re: Hi From Santa Cruz Co, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:06:33 AM »
Hi LadyLiberty,
Welcome to the forum.  My wife and I are raising Scottish Highland cattle and Nubian goats right up the road in Pescadero.
Glad to have you onboard!
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 03:36:40 AM »
Hi LadyLiberty and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your cheeses, we live in suburban Houston USA and have no clue about raising Alpaca's, congrats!

Lots of posts about Cheese Caves in the "Equipment - Aging Cheese" Board, including a few of my not so happy results :-\.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 03:44:33 AM »
Hi LadyLiberty and welcome to the forum.
I have my hands full trying to raise three girls (aged 8 - 18), let alone trying to raise Alpacas.  :)
If you're looking for help with your new hobby you've found the right place. Both great people and great advice are found in abundance on this forum.
Welcome aboard and good luck with your cheesemaking attempts.
Btw, I also make wine.....or at least I used to before I discovered cheesemaking. Now, the perfection of this craft takes up pretty much every waking thought.

Dave

Tea

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »
Good morning Lady Liberty and welcome to the forum.  How did the tiramisu turn out?
Hope you can share you cheese experiences.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »
Good morning Lady Liberty and welcome to the forum.  How did the tiramisu turn out?
Hope you can share you cheese experiences.

Really good!  I used home made mascarpone, and instead of using Italian brandy, I used frangelico Liquer, and dusted it with grated Scharfenberger chocolate.  (We had some of this left over from Christmas.) I think I found my tiramisu recipe, in fact. :)

Tea

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Ahh yes frangelico.  One of my daughters just wrangled her older sister into buying some to put in her birthday cake, and I don't think there is any stopping her now.  It definately make the difference.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »
Ahh yes frangelico.  One of my daughters just wrangled her older sister into buying some to put in her birthday cake, and I don't think there is any stopping her now.  It definately make the difference.

One of my favorite liquers. :) 

I like butterscotch schnapps too, that makes for an incredible trifle.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 06:34:50 AM »
Welcome...oh am I little late for the welcome?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »
Welcome...oh am I little late for the welcome?

Never too late!  Have a piece of Tiramisu! (well virtually, I guess)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
I love tiramisu, near me is a restaurant called Pasta Primavera that sells it for $4 for a huge slice and it's home made everyday.