I had the same thing happen to me. The big bush rats we have up here got in to the house (shock Horror) and ate a big wedge out of my farmhouse cheddar when it was at the drying stage.
I wasn't on this forum then and not knowing what to do, i gave it to the chooks. mine also had alot of scratch marks over the cheese. Wasn't sure if (BAD) bacteria was now in the cheese and didn't want to chance it.
Sounds like it might of been ok. OH well the chickens were feasting for a while.
good luck with the cheese. let us know how it all ends up!