Author Topic: My second Gruyere  (Read 5143 times)

anutcanfly

My second Gruyere
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
My first Gruyere was very disappointing.  It was very smooth and creamy and about bland as bland could be--even after 6 months ripening!  It did not taste like gruyere! After rummaging thru threads on this site I saw that this recipe really needs Propionic bacteria, even though book recipes don't list it.  So here we go for a second try!

4 gallons raw cow milk pH 6.7
¼ tsp TA
¼ tsp LH
¼ tsp PB
24 drops triple strength rennet

Warmed milk to 90 degrees, added cultures and let them rehydrate 5 minutes. Stirred and let milk ripen for 10 minutes.

Added rennet, stirred and let sit 40 minutes.  Floc at 16 x 2.5 = 40 minutes.

Checked for clean break and cut curd into rice sized pieces with a whisk. Temp 90 degrees

Returned to heat and raised temp to 114 degrees over 60 minutes (ended up hitting 114 in 45 minutes so I just stirred the last 15 minutes at 114 degrees). pH 6.5

Let sit 5 minutes, drained and hooped.  pH after hooping was 6.4.  Pressed for 1 hour at 35 lbs, redressed and pressed at 110 lbs overnight.

Placed in brine for 12 hours, then removed to air dry before going to my cave.

The cheese looks good and the trimmings from the edges tasted good.  I really need do more to eliminate press marks from excess cheesecloth!

ellenspn

Re: My second Gruyere
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
Still a very nice looking cheese :D

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
Thank you ellenspn  :)

Amatolman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »
Hi I'm right in the middle of trying a cheese like this, could you tell me how you made your brine?

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
I've been making a saturated brine with 1 gallon water, 2.25 lbs of non-iodized salt, 1 tablespoon calcium chloride, and 1 teaspoon vinegar.  As long as you keep in at 55 degrees or less you can use the same brine for months.  Just filter out any debris and add salt as needed to keep it saturated (18-22%).  I use the specific gravity scale on my hydrometer to check the salt level between cheeses. 

anut  :)

Amatolman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 03:37:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply Anut,

I read somewhere about using the whey to make the brine, is there any benefit to doing this?
Thanks as well for the brine recipe I will give that a try.

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:09 AM »
Looks very nice!  Well done.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Hi Amatolman, 

Yes, you can use whey as well.  I'm not sure if either one is better than the other.  Any more experienced cheeses have an answer to this?

Hi Jeff,

Thank you.  :)

margaretsmall

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »
Whatever other benefits there are, I like the idea of using the whey rather than the tank water we depend on - my husband is somewhat dismayed at the quantity of water cheesemaking seems to require.
Margaret

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »
Just cut into this cheese and it has developed a good swiss flavor, has a very nice texture and melts well.  Of the Swiss type cheeses I've made so far, I like the Jarlsberg the best, but I have more types to try yet.

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
Now doesn't that look a treat!  Some eyes have developed and a better flavour profile to boot.  Well done.  And as always, you've got some impressive melting going on there.  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of making cheese.  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of making cheese.  :)
All hail, the Queen of Sheba Cheeses! <bowing>

<the crowd murmurs and noisily licks their lips>

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
 Thank you Boofer.  So few recognize greatness these days... You truly are a man of discerning intellect.  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »
Anut you are a riot! Fine looking cheese. Smaller holes just means you get to eat more cheese and less air!