Author Topic: Humboldt Fog  (Read 2020 times)

justsocat

Humboldt Fog
« on: November 19, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
I never tried Humboldt Fog. This cheese is not available here. But it was enough for me just to see the pic and I fell in love with it at first sight. Now, when I already have some sense of goat milk I decide to give it a try. That was the second semilactic cheese I made after a number of crottin batches and some plays with ash. So I think a was ready for it more or less.
I added 2,5% MM100 MC and pinches of PC and GEO to 3 L of goat milk at 24C. Right after I added divided by 3 amount of rennet I normally use for rennet coagulated cheese. Got a good set after an hour and a half. Than I took the curd by thin slices as it is recommended in "200 easy cheeses" for St. Maure but not into the hoop but into the colander lined with cloth. Predrain for 8 hours. Than I milled the curds and hooped. Turned the hoop once during 4 hrs than cut the wheel by two halves, covered one side of one half with ash and lightly pressed the wheel to make the halves knit together for  8 hrs. Than I salted the cheese with saturated brine, air dried, covered with ash and ripened as normal.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Re: Humboldt Fog
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
Beautiful looking cheese, Pavel. How does it taste?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
Pav, congrats great looking Humboldt Fog!

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
Looks fantastic!  I think you did it!

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
Awesome!  I've been wanting to make that cheese, but hadn't figured out how to approach it.  Thanks for posting!  :)

justsocat

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
Thank you all for kind words. The thumbs up from the motherland of Humbold Fog gives a good inspiration :)
The cheese taste exactly as described by sellers. A bit earthy when young, creamy with tangy finish. Mashroomy smell of the PC covered rind is strong and clean. The only thing I didn't find is the lemony note. May be I just can't recognise that :)