Author Topic: Ellen's Caerphilly #1  (Read 4265 times)

ellenspn

Ellen's Caerphilly #1
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:46:34 AM »
After my new cultures arriving I decided to tackle another cheese, the other one that I didn't choose last time Caerphilly.

I combined the ingredients and directions from Tim Smith's and Karlin's books.

2 gal whole p/h milk (Oberweis)
1/8 t MA 4001
1/4 t Aroma B
1/2 t CaCl2 solution (Hoegger)
5/8 t veal rennet (increased because of slow flocculation I had with it last weekend)

Initial milk pH 6.71
After cultures grown for 50 minutes 6.67
At curd cut 6.68 (??????????)
Then I forgot to take any readings for a while.
Before last press 5.88

Accidentally forgot to check and not only over shot flocculation I also left stove on!!!  Got up to 98 but I quickly cooled it down to 94 degrees and it dropped during the stirring to 88 degrees.

Tried to cut into 1/4" squares and wasn't very successful I cut a lot with the perforated ladle.

Cheddaring it didn't go so well.  it drained whey very slowly (I used muslin, my mistake) It was very crumbly throughout and while I was able to slice it into slices, it fell apart readily so in the end I was just piling curds one

Once again had too many curds.  I milled the curds and then took handfuls and pressed it into my little mold as best as I could and the rest of the unpressed curds are in the fridge.  I'll use it in pasta or something.  I did the first two pressings for 10 minutes under 10 lbs of weight under whey, the next press was under 15 lbs of weight for another 15 minutes and now it's sitting at 15 lbs of weight for the next 16 hours.   After pressing I'll be brining it.

This time (despite what the picture shows) there is no leaning! Huzzah!

ellenspn

Re: Ellen's Caerphilly #1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
It's brining now.  I calculated brining for 5 hours based on the 1 lb 10.5 oz weight.  Looks like I broke off something unmolding it, but overall not bad looking.

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:07:54 AM »
That looks pretty good!  I really like caerphilly myself.  It should have a sharp tang to it when it's young.  I usually cut into them at 3 weeks.  I did age one longer once, to about 3 months or so, and I think I prefer it young.  I think if you're going to age something out, though, you might as well go for something that really is intended to be aged out.  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

- Jeff

ellenspn

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
I'm hoping to age the Gouda at least 4 months. First I need to increase the humidity in the cave. With just the saltwater bucket I can get 75%. It's time for me to get creative.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »
Hi ellenspn,

Use plastic boxes with lids and leave the lid ajar a bit if you have to.   The moisture from the cheese itself will raise the humidity in side the box, but if that doesn't get it up high enough, toss a damp cloth in the box.  Should work ok.

- Jeff

ellenspn

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
I wrote a reply last night but forgot to post it  :o

New fridge is here.  I'm lamenting the loss of the in the door milk chiller that I used to keep milk, cheese and sausage in :(  Trying to come up with ideas how to best arrange everything now that I have lost that.

Once I get the new fridge situation I'll turn my attention to the Gouda.

ellenspn

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
It's been 3 weeks now...I was hoping to age it a bit more but I'm restless and curious.  I guess I'll open it when I get home today.

ellenspn

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
Opened it up tonight and tried it.  Loved the nuttiness of it, but think it needs a bit more time.  So into the vacuum bags it goes!

Got a couple pictures though to share.  The rind was translucent and about 1/8" thick.  Is this excessive for 3 weeks aging?

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Hi ellenspn,

I thought I had replied to this already.  No, 1/8th of an inch is about right.  Your result looks really successful to me.  Caerphilly will have a tangy, young cheese, flavour.  As it ages that will mellow.  I aged one out to 3 months or so, and it became a bit bitter.  darius has had the same thing happen with some of her caerphilly as well.  However, that could have been due to too much starter as opposed to the normal progress for this make.  I probably should make another to age out to test that theory.  Anyway, try it at various time frames to find the one that you like best.  Well done.

- Jeff

ellenspn

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:40:15 AM »
Thank you :)  I really felt that pressing it that first couple presses under whey helped it a lot.  I'll take 1/2 to my mother in law's for New Years.  The first half I'll probably open  this weekend for myself.

My new dutch press arrived  ;D  No more leaning tower of cheese!  8)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
My new dutch press arrived  ;D  No more leaning tower of cheese!  8)
Hooray!!  :)

Looks good...how does it taste?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

ellenspn

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
Last weekend it was a bit under developed but nutty.  I'm opening 1/2 and seeing how it tastes this week.

I'm thinking about making more this weekend.  That or more Gouda...

ellenspn

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 04:49:48 AM »
Opened it up today after working on Caerphilly #2 and found it still nutty, but with a bitter/acidic aftertaste.  More time maybe?

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »
Hi,

It shouldn't be bitter, but it does have a young acidic tang to it.  That mellows with age.

- Jeff

ellenspn

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:02 AM »
I think acidic is the right term.  A little longer then on the 2nd half  ^-^

Thanks Jeff!